January 4, 2014 in City

Army staff sergeant douses Seattle nightclub fire

Associated Press
 

SEATTLE – The quick thinking of a U.S. Army staff sergeant likely helped prevent a fire inside a Seattle night club from becoming a tragedy during New Year’s Eve celebrations.

Seattle police say 750 people were celebrating in the Neighbours club when an arsonist poured gasoline on a carpeted stairway and set it ablaze.

In the first seconds after the fire started, Staff Sgt. Christopher Bostick grabbed a fire extinguisher from behind the bar, KIRO-TV reported. Then he and Air Force member Mike Casey put out the fire.

Bostick, a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, said the fire would have become unmanageable in less than a minute.

While the nightclub’s sprinkler system rained water down, hundreds of people calmly but quickly left the nightclub. No one was hurt.

Seattle arson investigators are searching through surveillance video from the club and neighboring businesses, looking for suspects and clues.

© Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


There are 14 comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email