Here are the answers to this week’s news quiz:
1. B. The Knutsons trained and handle Taima, an augur hawk that flies out of the tunnel ahead of the team and across the stadium.
2. E. Headphones weren’t among the top 50 categories in consumer electronics sales as recently as 2010; this year, headphones landed in the top 5.
3. B. After four explosions involving crude oil trains, federal authorities are re-examining the safety of transporting oil from the Bakken field by rail.
4. C. Kevin Coe, the notorious South Hill rapist who is now in state custody indefinitely as a sexually violent predator, asked to be released on constitutional grounds over what he says are flaws in his civil commitment trial.
5. A. WSU’s 25 points were the record low for the McKale Center in Tucson, as were the Cougs’ nine field goals.
On the Web: Now that you’ve warmed up your news sense, try your hand at our online quiz at www.spokesman.com/newsquiz, where top entries go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel and all entries this week go into a drawing for movie tickets. To give our newspaper readers a boost, some of the questions in this quiz also appear online.
Last week’s winners are Jim Ryan, of Spokane, who won the Davenport gift card, and Chris Sneider, of Spokane, who won the movie tickets.