Buddy Hield scored 22 points and Ryan Spangler added 16 points and a career-high 15 rebounds to help Oklahoma knock off previously unbeaten Iowa State 87-82 on Saturday in Norman, Okla.
Isaiah Cousins added 17 points for the Sooners (13-3, 2-1 Big 12), who ended No. 9 Iowa State’s school-best winning streak at 14 games.
The Sooners matched a season high with 13 3-pointers and outrebounded the Cyclones 41-34.
DeAndre Kane had 23 points and nine rebounds and Melvin Ejim added 21 points and six rebounds for Iowa State (14-1, 2-1). Georges Niang scored 14 points and Dustin Hogue added 13 for the Cyclones.
(2) Syracuse 57, North Carolina 45: C.J. Fair scored 20 points, Jerami Grant had 12 points and a career-high 12 rebounds, and the Orange defeated the Tar Heels in an Atlantic Coast Conference marquee matchup in Syracuse, N.Y.
Syracuse (16-0, 3-0) evened its all-time record against North Carolina (10-6, 0-3) to 4-4. UNC started 0-2 in ACC play three times in the past five years and five times overall, and the loss to Syracuse equaled the worst conference start in school history in 1996-97, Dean Smith’s final year as head coach.
It was the fewest points scored by North Carolina since posting 44 in a loss to Duke in 1979.
(5) Michigan State 87, Minnesota 75 (OT): At East Lansing, Mich., Keith Appling scored 24 points to help the Spartans defeat the Golden Gophers after overcoming a double-digit deficit in the second half and blowing a lead late in regulation.
The Spartans (15-1, 4-0 Big Ten) scored 15 straight points while holding the Golden Gophers (13-4, 2-2) scoreless for nearly 8 minutes after trailing 53-43 with 15:57 left.
(10) Florida 84, Arkansas 82 (OT): Dorian Finney-Smith scored 22 points as the Gators overcame the absence of leading scorer Casey Prather to snap Arkansas’ 23-game home winning streak, at Fayetteville, Ark.
Finney-Smith, starting in place of Prather, added a season-high 15 rebounds as the Gators (13-2, 2-0 SEC) won their seventh straight.
Ky Madden led the Razorbacks (11-4, 0-2), who had five players finish in double figures, with 23 points.
(11) Oklahoma State 73, West Virginia 72: Markel Brown hit a 3-pointer with 12 seconds left to lift the Cowboys to a win over the Mountaineers at Morgantowns, W.Va.
The Cowboys (14-2, 2-1 Big 12) trailed for most of the game, but still managed to snap the three-game winning streak of the Mountaineers (10-6, 2-1).
Clemson 72, (16) Duke 59: K.J. McDaniels scored 24 points and Jaron Blossomgame had career highs with 14 points and 14 rebounds as the Tigers handed the visiting Blue Devils their second straight Atlantic Coast Conference road loss.
Duke (12-4, 1-2 ACC) led 36-26 late in the first half before the Tigers (11-4, 2-1) put together a 37-18 run over the next 14 minutes.
(18) Kansas 86, (25) Kansas State 60: Andrew Wiggins scored 22 points, fellow freshman Wayne Selden added 20 and the Jayhawks (11-4, 2-0 Big 12) defeated the Wildcats (12-4, 2-1) at Lawrence, Kan.
It was the Jayhawks’ sixth straight win over their I-70 rivals.
Click here to comment on this story »