If you followed the news last week, and maybe even if you didn’t, you could be a winner in our weekly news quiz.
Warm up your news memory by taking the newspaper version of the quiz, then go to our website at www.spokesman.com/newsquiz for the online version, where top entries go into a drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel and all entries go into a drawing for movie tickets.
1. Some Spokane viewers missed a crucial Seahawks scoring drive in the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship game against the San Francisco 49ers because power was knocked out to a TV transmitter by
A. Ice building up on a transformer
B. A tree falling onto a power line
C. A car missing a curve and hitting a power pole
D. Heavy demand on power supplies from the high number of TVs in use
E. A squirrel touching two power lines at once and shorting out the line
2. Which of these films is playing during the Spokane International Film Festival that runs through Feb. 1?
A. “Knights of Badassdom”
B. “Nowhere Man”
C. “The Acrobat”
D. “52 Tuesdays”
E. “Child’s Pose”
3. Idaho Gov. Butch Otter wants North Idaho College to receive state funds next year to expand its Outreach Center in
B. Bonners Ferry
4. Fifth District Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers will deliver the Republican Party’s response to the State of the Union address. Among Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives, McMorris Rodgers ranks
5. The region’s hospitals have been slammed with flu patients recently. This year’s flu strain seems most potent attacking
A. The elderly and ill
B. Infants and preadolescents
C. Teens and people in their 40s
D. People with compromised immune systems and IV drug users
E. People in health care and education
Check your work
Find answers, and last week’s winners on page B3.