Totes offer stress-free packing
If a lazy day at the pool means a stressful morning shoving a few towels, sunglasses, sunscreen, pool toys, magazines and snacks into an overstuffed bag, it may be time for a new bag. These bags are designed specifically to hold all that stuff and more.
• The Sandless Beach Tote: If you love going to the beach but hate bringing the beach home with you, this bag is for you. It’s made from two layers of woven material developed for military use because it’s impossible for sand to filter through the sides or bottom. It won’t absorb moisture either, so while you may be around water, it shouldn’t get moldy. There’s an inner pocket for your phone and wallet. $29.95 at hammacher.com.
• Blue Twilight Check Large Open Top Tote: This is one tough beach or pool bag. It’s made from a strong canvas, which is reinforced at the bottom and around the handles so you can stuff it to the brim with water bottles without worrying about it breaking. The base and the trim are water-resistant, and it’s got one exterior pocket and four interior pockets. It comes in all different sizes and can be monogrammed. Starts at $44.50 at landsend.com.
• PaddlePak: Sometimes, the kid’s got to carry his own load. This makes doing it easy and fun. It’s a water-resistant backpack, so his wet swimsuit won’t leak out (and make it uncomfortable for him to carry), and if he leaves the bag too close to the pool, it won’t get wet. It’s big enough to squeeze a small towel, a water bottle and a swimsuit inside, which is perfect for camp. $25 at trunki.com.
• Family Beach Bag: This will keep everything organized via the 10 separate compartments, pouch for damp items, key ring and water bottle holder. It’s large enough to store four beach towels, clothing and everything else you’ll need for the day outside, and the compartments make it easy to find everything quickly. The bag is water resistant and has a zippered top. It can also be personalized. $19.95 at onestepahead.com.
• The One Backpack: An alternative pool bag, this one goes on your back. It’s great for the beach, when you’re carrying chairs, a picnic basket and a few children, because it’s literally one less thing to carry. It was designed to be used as a regular backpack, too, as it’s large enough for a laptop, and it has a removable bag to keep the wet gear separate from your other items. The back part of the bag flips open and turns into a small chair, which is ideal for picnics or sporting events. $99 at speedousa.com.