Royal Fireworks Concert couldn’t make a comeback
The annual Royal Fireworks Concert set for July 27 in Riverfront Park has been cancelled.
The concert and fireworks show, held the last Sunday in July for 35 years, was formerly sponsored by Allegro Baroque and Beyond.
That organization announced last year that it was ending the event.
Founding concert conductor David Dutton said an agreement between the Royal Fireworks Committee and Allegro to hold the concert again this year fell apart recently and there is not enough time to salvage the annual event. “We were pretty close,” he said.
The event that pairs fireworks with classical music requires about $40,000 to produce, Dutton said. “It’s a big project.”
The committee will immediately start an effort to bring the concert back in 2015, Dutton said.