Pioneer businessman David Holzman was already 40 years old when he moved to Spokane from the Black Hills in 1884.
Holzman had been a clothier in South Dakota, but in Spokane he operated D. Holzman & Co., a wholesale wine, liquor and cigar distributor.
The 1889 fire destroyed his business, but Holzman built a two-story-plus-basement building at Railroad Avenue and Monroe Street and continued to grow his business. The basement housed the bottling operation; offices and sales were on the first floor with storage on the second floor. The business boomed as he supplied libations to the workers who were busy rebuilding Spokane. His partners were brothers-in-law Joseph Reubens and Jacob Schiller.
He married Rebecca Reubens in 1879, recorded as the first Jewish wedding ceremony in the Black Hills. After many profitable years, Holzman retired around 1915 and left the liquor business. He started Spokane Interstate Investment Co., dabbling in real estate and mining investments.
Reubens continued the investment business after Holzman died in 1918 at age 80. The building was sold in 1916 and remodeled with additional floors to become Economy Stores wholesale warehouse. Most know the building as the home of The Old Spaghetti Factory.– Margaret Cowles and Jesse Tinsley