Arrow-right Camera


In brief: Crews restoring last pockets of blackouts

Mon., July 28, 2014, midnight

Avista crews spent Sunday restoring electrical service to scattered areas of Spokane and Deer Park still without power after a storm Wednesday that toppled nearly 60 of the utility’s poles.

The goal was to have electricity restored to all remaining customers by 6 p.m., Avista said Sunday. Anyone still without service after that time is asked to call (800) 227-9187 or report it online at

The storm knocked out power to about 40,000 Avista customers.

Other Inland Northwest utilities had crews out over the weekend to repair damage from the storm.

Inland Power and Light continued to work on outages Sunday evening. While the bulk of the system was expected to be restored by Sunday evening, there were many single outages that could take another one or two days to restore, the utility said.

Northern Lights Electric crews also had crews back out Sunday working on remaining outages in Bonner and Boundary counties.

Pend Oreille Public Utility District still had about 150 customers without power Sunday afternoon.

Burglary suspect arrested in home

A burglary suspect in a Spokane home fired a gun before he walked outside and was arrested by police Sunday morning.

Jeremy S. Dreher, 43, was arrested on suspicion of first-degree burglary and for two warrants.

Spokane police received a report of a burglary in progress at a home in the 900 block of East Bridgeport Avenue at 7:15 am. Officers determined the suspect had entered the home with a firearm and had taken the homeowner’s firearm. The homeowner got out of the house unharmed while the armed suspect remained inside, police said.

As officers began to secure a perimeter around the home, the suspect allegedly fired one round inside the house. No one was injured. Dreher came out and was taken into custody without incident, police said.

Dozens of firefighters battle Valley blaze

More than 50 Spokane firefighters doused a fire early Sunday morning at The American Linen Co., 1923 North Waterworks St., between Spokane Community College and Felts Field.

Heavy, black smoke could be seen miles away as fire companies from all over the city were called in to battle the three-alarm fire at the 56,000-square-foot commercial building. All three of Spokane’s ladder companies responded.

The fire broke out around 5 a.m. and was declared extinguished at 7:14 a.m. No one was injured, the fire department said.

Investigators were still working Sunday night to determine the cause of the fire. Preliminary information indicates the fire started outside the building in large bins of textile materials likely laden with oil residue, fire officials said.

Separate accidents leave three dead

Three people died in three separate accidents on Idaho highways on Sunday.

The Idaho State Police said 47-year-old Michael Garner, of Caldwell, died when his pickup went off Interstate 84 in Nampa and rolled at about 5:50 a.m. Sunday.

At about 3:20 a.m. Sunday, another crash on I-84 near the Idaho-Utah border claimed the life of 60-year-old Mark Beaslin, of Taylorsville, Utah.

The ISP said it appeared the van driven by a 17-year-old Magna, Utah, teen swerved to avoid an animal in the roadway and then overturned. Beaslin was ejected and later died at a hospital.

And a car drove off U.S. 95 near Plummer in Benewah County and struck a tree at about 1:20 a.m. Sunday, killing 42-year-old Bella Petersen, of Aurora, South Dakota.

The accidents remain under investigation.


Click here to comment on this story »