March 1, 2014 in Nation/World

In brief: Four wounded in tax refund row

From Wire Reports
 

DETROIT – A man involved in a dispute over a tax refund check opened fire at a Detroit tax preparation business on Friday afternoon, wounding four employees.

Police say the alleged gunman was arrested running from the scene and a woman involved in the dispute turned herself in later in the day.

The shooting happened at Tax City Tax Service on the city’s east side.

Deputy police Chief Rodney Johnson said the woman became upset when her tax refund wasn’t ready Friday and started scuffling with the guard.

Johnson said the man with her pulled a gun and started shooting.

The security guard was wounded, as were three other employees.

One victim was in critical condition, while the other three were listed in serious condition.

Trim bomb counts, lawyers argue

BOSTON – Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are seeking to have multiple charges against him dismissed.

In a court filing late Friday, Tsarnaev’s lawyers say some charges are repetitive and that the number could sway jurors weighing whether to find him guilty and, if they do, whether to sentence him to death.

Three people were killed and more than 260 wounded in the April bombing.

Jury decides taunts worth $1.2 million

DETROIT – His co-workers may have not seen past his beard, but the jury did.

A Muslim American man from Ypsilanti, Mich., has won a nearly $1.2 million jury award after successfully arguing he was harassed, taunted and discriminated against at work because of his religion, race and appearance – most notably, his long scruffy beard.

Ali Aboubaker, 56, a U.S. citizen and Tunisia native with four advanced degrees, was awarded the judgment following a two-week jury trial in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

Aboubaker claimed that for years he was subjected to racial and ethnic taunts in the workplace as an employee of Washtenaw County.

Man who blamed twin is sentenced

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – A former Army officer who once blamed his twin brother for a string of sexual assaults on young girls has been sentenced to 20 years to life in prison.

Aaron Lucas was sentenced Friday.

Lucas had been assigned to Fort Carson, outside Colorado Springs.

He said last year that his twin was responsible for the attacks but in November he changed his mind and pleaded guilty.

Authorities say the twin denied involvement.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus