March 1, 2014 in Washington Voices

Stove using propane tank prompts call for smoke

By The Spokesman-Review
 

A makeshift stove in a garage prompted an apartment resident to call 911 to report smoke in the 1800 block of North Hutchinson Road on Feb. 21.

Someone took a propane tank, cut the top off and attached a chimney to create the stove, said Spokane Valley Fire Department Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. The stove was left burning in a detached garage and a neighbor spotted the smoke, he said.

The stove did not ignite the garage, but its use was ill-advised, Clifford said. “It’s definitely not approved.”

Other calls from Feb. 20-26

Feb. 21: Someone looking at the Dishman Hills from a distance while using binoculars called to report seeing fire and smoke. Nothing was found when firefighters arrived.

Feb. 26: Crews responded to a reported stabbing in the 3500 block of South Woodward Road.

By the numbers: Crews responded to 281 calls, including 220 emergency medical services calls. The calls included 36 car accidents, several broken sprinkler pipes, two children locked inside cars, a downed power line and a broken water main.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus