Mobius Science Center is going to the dogs on Saturday.
And the cats. And the donkeys.
SpokAnimal is teaming up with Mobius for Pet Science Saturday.
It’ll be a day jam-packed with activities, said Don Riefler, director of education and programs at Mobius.
Among the things to see and do:
• The Ruff Revue Dancing Dog Troupe will perform. Riefler said the act is “framed as a lesson in dog training” explaining scientifically based techniques.
• The Spokane Police Department’s K-9 unit will demonstrate the work it does to sniff out a target.
• A digital microscope will project “gross and creepy crawly slides” on a wall, Riefler said. The samples will show animal parasites, blood, fur and other things veterinarians look at on a daily basis, he said. And, the slides are being prepared fresh by local vets.
• SpokAnimal will have cats and dogs available for adoption and an on-site clinic with professional staff performing low-cost rabies vaccinations ($14) and micro-chip implants ($10) for cats and dogs. Clinic hours are 11 a.m.-2 p.m.; admission to Mobius is not required for the clinic or to check out the adoptable animals.
• And, the thing Riefler is most looking forward to: Chance the tiny donkey. He described the burro as being exactly the shape of Donkey from “Shrek.” Chance will be available for photos and snuggles with a $5 donation to Rough Start Horse Rescue.
“What I like about this event is that, yeah, we’re going to talk about science,” Riefler said, “but there’s going to be a whole bunch of cute animals … and you may even be able to leave with one.”
where: Mobius Science Center, 811 W. Main Ave.
When: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday
Cost: Pet Science Saturday activities are included with standard museum admission – $10 adults, $7 children, free 3 and younger and museum members
Info: (509) 321-7133 or http://mobius spokane.org/mobius-science-center