Here are the answers to this week’s newspaper quiz:
1. C. The city’s code enforcement office has sent a dozen cease-and-desist orders to property owners who advertise short-term rentals on Airbnb.com and other websites.
2. B. Obama was interviewed by actor Zach Galifianakis on his irreverent online show, resulting in 40 percent more visits that day to the Healthcare.gov website.
3. B. The weed control assessment, now paid by only a patchwork of property owners, would be lowered to $2 from $3 but would be applied to all Spokane County property owners under a proposal considered by the Noxious Weed Board.
4. A. Irish stew was originally a way to eat the wool- and milk-producing sheep that could no longer deliver. The tough meat required hours of simmering.
5. C. The University of Idaho men upset Utah Valley 74-69 to go to the WAC championship for their first tournament title game since 1983.
On the Web: Now that you’ve warmed up your news sense, try your hand at our online quiz at www.spokesman.com/newsquiz, where top entries go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries this week go into a drawing for movie tickets. To give our newspaper readers a boost, some questions in this quiz also appear online.
Last week’s winners are Tami Earthman, of Spokane, who won a $50 gift card, and Gene Syms, of Spokane, who won movie tickets.
Click here to comment on this story »