That’s NEWS to you
If you followed the news last week, and maybe even if you didn’t, you could be a winner in our weekly news quiz. Warm up your news memory by taking the newspaper version of the quiz, then go to www.spokesman.com/newsquiz for the online version, where top entries go into a drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries go into a drawing for movie tickets.
1. The city of Spokane is cracking down on what?
A. Schools that don’t keep their sidewalks clear of snow and ice
B. Homeowners who keep more than three chickens
C. Homeowners who rent out rooms over the Internet
D. Drivers who swerve around large potholes
E. Do-it-yourselfers who don’t take out the proper permits before renovations
2. President Barack Obama appeared on what show last week to plug the Affordable Care Act?
B. “Between Two Ferns”
C. “The Rush Limbaugh Show”
D. “The Daily Show”
E. “The Soup”
3. Why are county workers pushing for a $2 annual assessment on all property owners in Spokane County effective in 2015?
A. To pay for moving some West Plains residents out of one of Fairchild Air Force Base’s crash zones.
B. To pay for killing noxious weeds in increasingly troublesome urban areas.
C. To backfill shortfalls in a 2014 budget that gave county employees raises.
D. To pay for the first phase of a new jail to replace Geiger Corrections Center.
E. To pay for the initial costs of merging local trash systems to a single regional system.
4. The original Irish stews included what type of meat?
E. Can’t fool me. It was vegetarian.
5. The University of Idaho men’s basketball team played Saturday in the Western Athletic Conference championship, their first conference championship game since what year?
Check your work Find answers, explanations and last week’s winners on page B3.