Here are the answers to this week’s newspaper quiz:
1. C. It costs about $135 a day to house a prisoner in the Spokane County Jail.
2. C. The House Ethics Committee won’t appoint a special panel to investigate allegations against Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers.
3. D. About 40-50 percent of the region’s family doctors are expected to retire in the next five to seven years.
4. B. Jimmy Fallon’s first month as the “Tonight Show” host has wildly exceeded network officials’ expectations. When Fallon premiered on “Tonight” during the Olympics, the franchise hit numbers unseen since Johnny Carson’s last week in 1992.
5. C. Microsoft has announced it is offering Office software for iPads, almost four years after Apple Inc. released the tablet computer that has contributed to a steady decline in sales of desktop and laptop machines running on the Windows operating system.
On the Web: Now that you’ve warmed up your news sense, try your hand at our online quiz at www.spokesman.com/newsquiz, where top entries go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries this week go into a drawing for movie tickets. To give our newspaper readers a boost, some questions in this quiz also appear online.
Last week’s winners are Sid Fredrickson, of Coeur d’Alene, who won a $50 gift card, and Michael Folsom, of Cheney, who won movie tickets.