That’s NEWS to you
If you followed the news last week, and maybe even if you didn’t, you could be a winner in our weekly news quiz. Warm up your news memory by taking the newspaper version of the quiz, then go to www.spokesman.com/newsquiz for the online version, where top entries go into a drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries go into a drawing for movie tickets.
1. Spokane Community Court for chronic nonviolent offenders is an alternative to jail. Jail costs how much per day?
2. The House Ethics Committee looking at allegations that Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers improperly combined campaign and official funds in campaigns for re-election and for a GOP post decided to
A. Appoint a special panel to investigate
B. Bring the issue before the full House membership
C. Not appoint a special panel to investigate
D. Postpone the matter until after fall elections
E. Broaden the scope of the inquiry
3. A medical residency program for primary care physicians will start this summer in Coeur d’Alene. What percent of family doctors in the area are expected to retire in the next five to seven years?
A. 10-20 percent
B. 20-30 percent
C. 30-40 percent
D. 40-50 percent
E. 50-60 percent
4. Jimmy Fallon’s first month as the “Tonight Show” host
A. Was about what network officials had expected
B. Has exceeded network officials’ wildest expectations
C. Hasn’t gone as well as network officials expected
D. Has not played well with the 18-49 demographic
E. Has made advertisers nervous
5. Microsoft announced last week it will
A. Stop making software for Apple products
B. Launch an app to compete with Twitter
C. Offer Office software for iPads
D. Purchase the company that owns “Candy Crush Saga”
E. Diversify into the coffee business
Check your work
Find answers, explanations and last week’s winners on page B10.