May 9, 2014

Mercury spill at East Valley High School

By The Spokesman-Review

East Valley High School has been evacuated and students sent home for the day while firefighters clean up a mercury spill.

A student brought a vial of mercury to school today, and it apparently spilled in a classroom earlier this morning, said Jodi Brown, a spokeswoman for the district.

Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to the school about 9 a.m., tested the school’s air quality and determined the building was unsafe, Brown said. The kids who were exposed – those in the classroom where the mercury spilled – have been taken to the hospital for blood tests, Brown said.

There are seven comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email