Arrow-right Camera


In brief: East Valley High School will reopen after mercury spill

Sat., May 10, 2014, midnight

East Valley High School is expected to reopen Monday after a student brought a vial of mercury to school.

None of the 14 students and adults taken to a hospital immediately after the chemical spilled showed signs of exposure Friday, fire officials said. All were released from the hospital.

Fast-acting school employees along with an emergency evacuation plan prevented the incident from becoming more dangerous, said Spokane Valley Fire Department Capt. Jeff Bordwell. The ventilation system was shut down and the rooms where the mercury spilled were cordoned off.

Fire officials released the cleanup responsibilities to Able Care, a company specializing in cleaning contaminants, Bordwell said. The work was expected to be completed by Monday.

Mercury is highly toxic, and can cause birth defects and damage to the brain and nervous system.

Jody Lawrence-Turner

Bond lower for teen charged with murder

A Superior Court judge on Friday lowered the bond for one of two teenagers charged with killing a World War II veteran outside a north Spokane ice rink in August.

Kenan Adams-Kinard, 17, asked the court to lower bond on his criminal counts of murder and first-degree robbery. He has been held for nine months on $3 million bond pending an August trial date for his alleged role in the beating death of 88-year-old Delbert Belton.

Judge Annette Plese lowered that amount to $1 million on Friday due to Adams-Kinard’s permanent address in Spokane and two juvenile misdemeanor convictions. He remained in custody Friday.

Also jailed in connection with the homicide is 16-year-old Demetruis Glenn. Glenn surrendered to police and is being held on $2 million bond, according to jail records.

Adams-Kinard was arrested at a friend’s apartment a few days after the beating, and police have linked him to a letter in which it is claimed Belton cheated the two boys on a drug deal, prompting the violence.

Kip Hill

Illegal fisher jumps into river, official says

A man who appeared to be fishing illegally in the Spokane River near Plantes Ferry Park into Spokane Valley jumped into the river to escape a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife officer Friday afternoon, according to department spokeswoman Madonna Luers.

“That section of the river does not open until June 7,” Luers said. “He had no fishing license, which was strike two.”

The officer also discovered that the man was wanted on a felony warrant. The fisherman took off running and jumped into the water, Luers said. “It’s very cold and very high and dangerous right now,” she said.

The wildlife officer was able to persuade the man to come out of the water, Luers said.

He was booked into Spokane County Jail.

Nina Culver


There are 10 comments on this story »