May 12, 2014 in City, Idaho, Region
In brief: Mud bogger killed in rollover accident
A man was killed Saturday afternoon at the Mountain Mania Mud Bog in Valley, Washington.
The man, whose name has not been released, was in a vehicle traveling uphill when it flipped over backward. Witnesses said he was not wearing a seat belt.
Mountain Mania said a portion of the weekend event’s prize money will be donated to the man’s family.
Backyard campfire ignites gas line
A backyard birthday party in north Spokane ended with a natural gas explosion and intense fire Saturday night.
Fire investigators said a campfire at 2529 W. Queen Ave. melted and breached a plastic gas line to the home, causing the explosion and gas-fed fire with flames shooting 15 feet in the air.
The fire department responded at 9:46 p.m. and protected the nearby home from extreme radiant heat and falling embers. The fire was allowed to burn until an Avista Utilities crew was able to shut off the gas supply.
Fire officials said the incident is a reminder to have all underground utilities located prior to digging.