Arrow-right Camera


In brief: Family confirms identity of body found in Washington mudslide

TUESDAY, MAY 27, 2014

EVERETT – The family of a man long missing in Washington’s March 22 landslide is confirming that the latest remains discovered were his.

Steven Hadaway was installing a satellite television dish at a home when the slide struck. The 53-year-old’s brother confirmed to KIRO-TV on Monday that the remains found last Thursday were his.

The slide occurred when a rain-soaked hillside above the North Fork of the Stillaguamish River gave way, obliterating a neighborhood in Oso, about an hour northeast of Seattle.

The remains of 42 people have now been recovered, with one person known to be missing – 44-year-old Kris Regelbrugge, whose husband also died.

Authorities ended the active search for bodies late last month, but work continues to rebuild a highway through the area.

Four skiers lifted to safety after causing avalanche

BUTTE – Four skiers were rescued after several were caught in an avalanche near Butte in Western Montana.

A helicopter from Malmstrom Air Force Base lifted the skiers out early Monday morning after ground rescuers couldn’t reach them.

One skier was taken to a hospital and treated for a diabetic emergency. However, no one remained in the hospital by noon Monday.

Rescue officials told the Montana Standard that the skiers were in a restricted area and caused the avalanche.

The skiers said they believed the area was not off-limits.

Among those rescued was Amanda Curtis, a state legislator who also teaches at Butte High School.

Curtis said the skiers are experienced backcountry skiers and had skied that spot for 15 years.

Rafter dies after falling into Skykomish River

GOLD BAR, Wash. – A rafter from Seattle died after falling into the Skykomish River east of Gold Bar during a rafting trip.

The 35-year-old man had reportedly been wearing appropriate gear, including a helmet and life jacket. He was rafting Sunday afternoon in a group with a company based out of Peshastin, the Daily Herald reported.

The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office responded at about 3:45 p.m. to a report of the rafter being given CPR after going into the water near Boulder Drop.

The Sheriff’s Office marine unit is investigating, and the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office is expected to determine the cause of death and to release the man’s name.

Injured climber plucked from side of Mount Hood

PORTLAND – A climber who fell hundreds of feet down Mount Hood was rescued by a helicopter and transported to a Portland hospital.

Clackamas County sheriff’s Deputy Marcus Mendoza told KGW the 59-year-old Tualatin man fell on the south side of Mount Hood about 8:45 a.m. Saturday.

Steve Rollins with Portland Mountain Rescue said Michael Adams slid into a fumarole, which is where steam and sulfur vent from the volcano. Adams was banged up but able to speak. Rescue crews reached him about noon Saturday and he was taken to Legacy Emanuel Hospital.

Adams appeared to have a fractured leg, possible rib fractures and other minor injuries.

Mount Hood, an 11,250-foot peak in the Cascade Range, is about 50 miles east of Portland.

Boise man accused of trafficking pot via mail

BOISE – A 21-year-old Boise man has been arrested on accusations he used the mail to traffic marijuana.

Boise police said they arrested Andrew R. Ralston following an investigation with U.S. postal inspectors. Police said officers stopped Ralston on Friday after he picked up a package from a Boise post office.

Police said a search of the package found several pounds of marijuana inside. The package was sent from a California address. A search of Ralston’s home resulted in finding additional marijuana and other illegal drugs, authorities said.

Ralston was charged with trafficking marijuana, and police say additional charges are possible.

Study team plans to trap, tag Grand Teton grizzly bears

JACKSON, Wyo. – Federal biologists will begin trapping and tagging grizzly bears in Grand Teton National Park this coming week.

The effort by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team is aimed at keeping tabs on the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem’s grizzlies.

“Monitoring of grizzly bear distribution, as well as their food selection and other activities, is vital to recovery of grizzlies across the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem,” a statement from the study team said.

The grizzly trapping in the Tetons will continue until mid-October.

All trapping operations are located in the backcountry and away from hiking trails and campsites. The precise locations where the study team sets its traps are not publicized.

In the Greater Yellowstone area, there have been incidents related to the release of recently trapped bears.

In June 2010, a 70-year-old botanist was mauled and killed by a grizzly that hours before had been released by study team researchers near the East Gate of Yellowstone National Park. Two years later, a U.S. District Court judge ruled in favor of the government in acquitting the study team in a wrongful death suit.

In part because of the incident, the study team has made changes to its protocol for marking trapping areas.


Click here to comment on this story »