Washington State freshman Chelsea Harkins scored her first career goal in the 81st minute and the Cougars topped No. 9 California 1-0 in a Pac-12 Conference women’s soccer match Friday in Berkeley, California.
The win was WSU’s first on the road against a top-10 team and broke an 18-match road winless streak against top 25 teams.
The match-winner was a rebound off a shot by Cara Wegner that hit the crossbar.
The Cougars (7-0-2, 2-0) play at No. 3 Stanford on Sunday. The Golden Bears fell to 9-2 overall and 1-1 in the Pac-12.
• Tori Lee’s 70th-minute goal was the difference in Gonzaga’s 2-1 West Coast Conference win over Saint Mary’s (6-6, 0-1) in Spokane.
The teams traded goals midway through the first half. The Gaels’ Vicki Shimkus scored in the 33rd minute and the Bulldogs’ Heather Johnson responded less than 2 minutes later with an unassisted goal.
GU improved to 6-5 overall and 1-0 in the WCC.
• Abbey Berquist and Cori Bianchini each had a goal and an assist and Portland State (4-4-3, 1-1-1) defeated Eastern Washington (4-5, 1-2) 3-1 in a Big Sky Conference match in Portland, Oregon.
Chloe Williams scored the Eagles’ lone goal on an assist from Cassie Black in the 27th minute.
• Chloe Bell’s 76th-minute goal helped Idaho (2-9-1, 2-0-1) earn a 2-all draw with Southern Utah (5-3-2, 2-0-1) in a Big Sky Conference match in Cedar City, Utah.
Kavita Battan assisted on the equalizer. Idaho’s Elexis Schlossarek scored on a penalty kick a few seconds after Southern Idaho had taken a 1-0 lead early in the second half.
• Elly Priddy scored two of North Idaho’s four first-half goals and the Cardinals soared past Wenatchee Valley (1-9-2, 1-7-2) 6-1 in a Northwest Athletic Conference match in Wenatchee.
Sydney Sol and Alex Rankin also scored in the first half and Jasmine Smith and Finess White added second-half goals for the Cardinals (5-1-6, 4-1-6).
Clark Phillips scored twice late in the second half and Gonzaga (2-7) roared back to beat Pacific (2-6) 4-3 in a Nonconference match in Stockton, California.
The winning goal was a wide-open header set up by a counter-attack cross by Jakob Granlund.
Nate Pacheco and Nick Ulowetz also scored for GU.
• Adam Talley’s sixth-minute goal held up in North Idaho’s 1-0 win over Wenatchee Valley (7-2-2, 6-2-1) in a Northwest Athletic Conference match in Wenatchee.
North Idaho improved to 10-0-1 overall and 8-0-1 in conference matches.
Samantha Bricio had 28 kills and 13 digs and No. 19 USC (8-6, 1-3) edged Washington State (9-6, 0-3) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Pullman. Scores were 20-25, 25-19, 27-25, 20-25 and 15-11.
Jaicee Harris, Chelsey Bettinson and Kyra Holt all had 14 kills for the Cougars.
• Ali Forde and Katelyn Peterson combined for 27 kills and Idaho (6-10, 3-1) swept Eastern Washington 25-10, 25-14, 25-19 in a Big Sky Conference match in Cheney.
Allie Schumacher had a team-high eight kills for EWU (5-12, 1-3).
• Brenna Bruil led four players in double figures with 14 kills and Whitworth (10-4, 3-2) beat Willamette (7-7, 2-3) 25-13, 21-25, 25-17, 25-20 in a Northwest Conference match in Salem, Oregon.
• Snow (14-3) beat North Idaho (7-5) 25-19, 25-22, 25-22 in a Scenic West Athletic Conference match in Ephraim, Utah.
NIC’s Brittany Aldridge had 10 kills and 15 digs.
• Blue Mountain (29-1, 3-0) defeated Community Colleges of Spokane (17-10, 2-2) in a Northwest Athletic Conference match at Spokane Falls Community College. Scores were 20-25, 25-17, 18-25, 25-17 and 15-9.
Gonzaga’s Nick Roche took 37th place and the Bulldog men finished 13th out of 24 teams at the Notre Dame Invitational at the Notre Dame Golf Course in South Bend, Indiana.
Roche completed the 5-mile course in 23 minutes, 57.3 seconds.
Subscribe to The Spokesman-Review's sports newsletter
Get the day's top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.