Dylan Thompson threw three touchdown passes and No. 24 South Carolina’s maligned defense stood strong on a fourth-quarter goal-line stand to topple No. 6 Georgia 38-35 on Saturday night in Columbia, South Carolina.
The Bulldogs (1-1, 0-1 Southeastern Conference) had a first-and-goal on the Gamecocks’ 4-yard line down three points with 5:24 remaining. But Hutson Mason was called for intentional grounding to set Georgia back and the usually reliable Marshall Morgan missed a 28-yard field goal.
Todd Gurley ran for 131 yards and a touchdown, yet the Gamecocks (2-1, 1-1 Southeastern Conference) kept the Bulldogs’ star from making a bigger impact.
(3) Alabama 52, Southern Mississippi 12: Blake Sims passed for two TDs and rushed for a third in three quarters to lead the Crimson Tide (3-0) over the Golden Eagles (1-2) in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
(4) Oklahoma 34, Tennessee 10: Trevor Knight passed for 308 yards and a score and ran for a TD to lead the Sooners (3-0) over the Volunteers (2-1) in Norman, Oklahoma.
(7) Texas A&M 38, Rice 10: Kenny Hill completed 20 of 31 passes for 300 yards and four TDs in three quarters of action to power the Aggies (3-0) to a victory over the Owls (0-2) in College Station, Texas.
(10) LSU 31, Louisiana-Monroe 0: Darrel Williams ran for two TDs, fellow freshman Leonard Fournette added another, and the Tigers (3-0) posted their second straight shutout, beating the Warhawks (2-1) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
(11) Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14: Everett Golson threw two touchdown passes and ran for another score as the Fighting Irish (3-0) scored the final 20 points to beat the Boilermakers (1-2) in Indianapolis.
(14) Mississippi 56, Louisiana-Lafayette 15: Bo Wallace threw for 316 yards and four TDs, including two to Vince Sanders, to lead the Rebels (3-0) over the Ragin’ Cajuns (1-2) in Oxford, Mississippi.
East Carolina 28, (17) Virginia Tech 21: Shane Carden threw three TD passes and ran for a score with 16 seconds left to lead the Pirates (2-1) to an upset over the Hokies (2-1) in Blacksburg, Virginia.
Carden completed 23 of 47 passes for 427 yards.
(20) Missouri 38, Central Florida 10: Maty Mauk threw four TD passes, two each to Jimmie Hunt and Bud Sasser, to lead the Tigers (3-0) past the Knights (0-2) in Columbia, Missouri.
Virginia 23, (21) Louisville 21: Greyson Lambert threw a TD pass and ran for a score and Ian Frye kicked a 42-yard field goal with 3:41 remaining, to lift the Cavaliers (2-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) to an upset win over the Cardinals (2-1, 1-1) in Charlottesville, Virginia.
(22) Ohio State 66, Kent State 0: J.T. Barrett matched a school record with six TD passes – five in the first half – to lead the Buckeyes (2-1) to a rout over the Golden Flashes (0-3) in Columbus, Ohio.
Subscribe to The Spokesman-Review’s sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.