Washington State secured the Idaho Classic volleyball title with straight-set wins over Seattle and Idaho Saturday in Moscow, Idaho.
The Cougars opened with a 25-12, 25-15, 25-23 win over Seattle. WSU’s Kyra Holt tallied a match-high 14 kills, Kate Sommer had 10 digs and Claire Martin had five blocks.
Washington State (5-1) made quick work of Idaho in the title match, beating the Vandals 25-21, 25-21, 25-23. Holt led the charge with 17 kills and 16 digs and McKenna Woodford added 15 kills.
Idaho (1-5), which fell in five sets to UC Irvine earlier in the day, got 10 kills and 10 digs from Katelyn Peterson.
Next up for WSU is the Cougar Challenge in Pullman on Friday and Saturday.
• After sweeping Montana, Gonzaga fell to Utah in five sets at the Gonzaga Invitational in Spokane.
The Bulldogs (4-2) opened the day with a 25-18, 25-19, 25-21 win over the Grizzlies (2-4).
Against Utah (5-2), Adora Anae led three players in double figures and the Utes prevailed. Set scores were 19-25, 25-22, 25-22, 23-25 and 15-5.
Gonzaga’s Savannah Blinn led all players with 23 kills.
• Allie Schumacher had 10 kills, four digs and three blocks and Eastern Washington claimed the New Orleans Invitational title with a straight-set win over tournament-host New Orleans (2-3). Scores were 25-23, 25-20, 25-17.
Jessica Gilbert added eight kills and Ryann Ensrud chipped in a match-high 11 digs for the Eagles, who have won three straight matches for the first time since 2011.
Eastern Washington (3-3) plays today against Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond, Louisiana.
• Whitworth was swept by Texas-Dallas (4-1) and Southwestern (5-0) to conclude play at the Mary Hardin-Baylor Invitational in Georgetown, Texas.
The Pirates (2-2) host Lewis-Clark State at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
• After falling to Northwest College (Wyoming), North Idaho responded with a five-set win over Casper (Wyoming) College at the Salt Lake City tournament.
Brenna Meehan had 14 kills and Brittany Gay dished out 36 assists in the Cardinals’ 3-2 win over Casper.
Conner Bevans scored an unassisted goal in the 22nd minute and Gonzaga held on for a 1-0 nonconference win over Northwestern (0-2-1) in Spokane despite being undermanned for the final 23 minutes of the match.
Bulldogs midfielder Jakob Granlund received a second yellow card and was disqualified midway through the second half, forcing GU to play a man down, but the Bulldogs held strong on defense.
Gonzaga (2-1-1) hosts Hartwick on Friday.
• Led by Karl Muelheims’ hat trick, Whitworth racked up six second-half goals and routed Minnesota-Morris 9-0 in a nonconference match in Spokane.
Tanner Stepp added a pair of second-half goals for the Pirates, who held a 39-0 shots advantage over the Cougars (0-3)
Muelheims has five goals through the first two matches of the season. Whitworth (2-0) plays Mary Hardin-Baylor Thursday in Tacoma.
DeNae Vandam’s 82nd minute goal was the difference in Whitworth’s 1-0 nonconference victory over Carroll at Whitman College in Walla Walla.
The Fighting Saints (1-3) held a 16-8 shots advantage, but couldn’t get any past Pirates keeper Sienna Tanner, who made eight saves.
Whitworth (2-0) plays Chapman in Santa Cruz, California, on Friday.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.