Arrow-right Camera
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Firefighters knock down blaze at 9-unit apartment in Browne’s Addition

UPDATED: Fri., Nov. 10, 2017, 3:42 p.m.

Spokane firefighters responded just after 1 p.m. Friday to a structure fire inside a nine-unit apartment building in Browne’s Addition.

Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said the fire at 1730 W. Pacific Avenue likely started in the basement and extended to the building’s attic.

“Everyone was evacuated. There were no injuries,” Schaeffer said. “We are just getting rid of the smoke.”

Tenant Sarah Wolfe, 22, said she turned on her furnace and noticed something wrong.

“I went outside and saw billowing smoke,” Wolfe said. “I called 911. I tried to grab my cat as fast as I could. That was scary.”

Wolfe got her pet outside, but her orange tabby, Mr. Peaches, ran away from the commotion.

“He’s an indoor cat,” she said. “I hope he’s OK.”

Fire crews brought out at least three other cats that suffered smoke inhalation. Paramedics squeezed oxygen bags into the cats’ faces and they appeared to respond.

Jade Wasson took over for one of the cats for her friend, who was too distraught and did not want to comment.

“We were next door to where they said the fire started,” Wasson said. “When I started seeing smoke coming from the electrical outlet, I got my 11-year-old and my cat and we got out.”

Fire crews were expected to take several hours to mop up the scene but Schaeffer seemed confident that residents would be allowed back into the building later Friday.