Arrow-right Camera
News >  Spokane

Pineapple Express soaking Washington through the weekend

UPDATED: Thu., Nov. 23, 2017, 10:34 p.m.

Headlights of cars on Stevens Street reflect off the wet roadway early Monday, Sept. 18, 2017, after significant overnight rains, the first for Spokane in more than 80 days. (Jesse Tinsley / The Spokesman-Review)
Headlights of cars on Stevens Street reflect off the wet roadway early Monday, Sept. 18, 2017, after significant overnight rains, the first for Spokane in more than 80 days. (Jesse Tinsley / The Spokesman-Review)

While records will be on the line in Husky Stadium Saturday afternoon, Mother Nature has been breaking a few records of her own, courtesy of the Pineapple Express.

Thursday was officially the warmest Thanksgiving Day on record, with temperatures hitting 56 degrees at 11:20 a.m., according to the National Weather Service in Spokane.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Cascades, the Pineapple Express has been soaking Western Washington. More than 6 inches of rain has fallen this month – nearly 2 inches more than average – which has led to some small stream and river flooding.

On Saturday, Eastern Washington and North Idaho will be looking at partly sunny skies with temperatures hovering around 45 with a 20 percent chance of rain during the day that increases overnight to 80 percent on Sunday, along with a forecast high of 48.

Fans planning to drive over the pass for the Apple Cup will want to pack wet weather gear. The forecast is calling for a 70 percent chance of rain Saturday in Seattle, with high temperatures around 50 and lows in the mid-40s.

All of the rainfall across Washington – coupled with more on the way through the weekend – has prompted the National Weather Service to issue a series of flash flood warnings for most of the western side of the state, including the western slopes of the Cascades, and a flash flood watch for the eastern slopes of the Cascades.

The weather service has also issued a warning that due to the significant rainfall over the last few weeks, the threat of landslides across Western Washington has increased.

Whether you’re staying at home or traveling across the state, it will be fairly warm and there will be rain.


Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter

There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email webteam@spokesman.com

You have been successfully subscribed!