SEATTLE – A hazardous materials team has been called to a Goodwill warehouse in Seattle after a radioactive material was found.
KOMO-TV reported Friday that scrap metal contaminated with radium was dropped off as a donation.
A scrap metal recycler coming to pick up the metal discovered the radioactivity during a routine scan.
Emergency officials said the hazardous material was determined to be radium 226, which is considered dangerous mostly when it is ingested or inhaled.
Seattle Goodwill spokeswoman Katherine Boury said the amount found was very low in radiation.
The item was later taken outside the building in an area separate from the general public.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.