Senior Taylor Mims recorded her 900th career kill and finished with a match-best 16 on Saturday to lead Washington State’s volleyball team to a season-opening 25-13, 25-22, 22-18 nonconference win over Virginia Commonwealth (0-2) in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The Cougars have won their season opener in 28 of the last 32 years.
WSU junior Alexis Dirige added 15 digs to boost her career total to 1,070, tying for 10th place in Cougars history.
McKenna Woodford added 10 kills and Ashley Brown 39 assists for the Cougars.
WSU will remain in Raleigh and meet North Carolina State on Sunday morning.
- Mac May and Jenny Mosser combined for 27 kills and 11th-ranked UCLA defeated Gonzaga in a nonconference season opener in Los Angeles. Sarah Penner had 14 kills and 10 digs for the Bulldogs, who won the second game 25-21. Fellow sophomore Jenna Kuehn added a career-high 36 assists and 11 digs. The teams will meet again Sunday.
- Alexandra Espinosa had 21 kills and Eastern Washington completed play at the season-opening Titan Classic in Riverside, California, with a 3-0 record, outlasting the hosts 25-17, 26-24, 24-26, 19-25, 15-13 to complete the day. Samantha Boever added 44 assists, Catelyn Linke 33 digs and Taylor Larsen six blocks for the Eagles, who are 3-0 for the first time since 2002. EWU started the day with a 3-1 win over Akron (1-1), winning the third game 25-20 and the final 25-15. Espinosa had 15 kills to lead the way. Kamille Langford added eight blocks, and Boever had 36 assists and 10 digs.
- Idaho (2-1) split two matches at its Idaho Volleyball Classic in Moscow, Idaho, ending the day with a 3-2 loss to New Mexico (1-2). Kaela Straw had a match-high 27 kills in the loss. UI’s Nikki Ball added nine blocks and Alycia Wodke had 21 digs.
- Idaho began the day with a 3-2 win over Grand Canyon (1-1), taking the final game 15-12 after trailing 8-7. Straw led the way with 19 kills, hitting .417 for the match. Sarah Sharp added 14 kills and Haylee Mathis had 49 assists.
- Community Colleges of Spokane finished 3-1 at the season-opening Northwest Athletic Conference crossover tournament in Eugene. North Idaho split four matches. NIC’s Kayla Neumann had 10 kills and Hope DeLeon added 10 digs in a 2-1 loss to Linn-Benton, which finished 4-0 on the day.
Subscribe to The Spokesman-Review's sports newsletter
Get the day's top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.