Arrow-right Camera
News >  World

Cuba state media: Fidel Castro’s son has killed himself

Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart, son of then-Cuban leader Fidel Castro, speaks with an unidentified woman March 14, 2012 during the presentation of his father's book “Nuestro Deber es Luchar,” or “Our Duty is to Fight,” in Havana, Cuba. (Franklin Reyes / Associated Press)
Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart, son of then-Cuban leader Fidel Castro, speaks with an unidentified woman March 14, 2012 during the presentation of his father's book “Nuestro Deber es Luchar,” or “Our Duty is to Fight,” in Havana, Cuba. (Franklin Reyes / Associated Press)

HAVANA – The eldest son of late Cuban leader Fidel Castro killed himself on Thursday after months of treatment for depression, state media reported. He was 68.

Official website Cubadebate said Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart had been in a “deeply depressed state.” A brief note read on state television said his treatment had “required an initial hospitalization then outpatient follow-up.”

The eldest son of Cuba’s late revolutionary leader was known for his resemblance to his father, earning him the nickname Fidelito or Little Fidel.

Castro Diaz-Balart had served as scientific adviser to the Council of State and was vice president of the Cuban Academy of Sciences. He studied nuclear physics in the former Soviet Union and at one point was head of Cuba’s nuclear program. He preferred to stay away from political issues.

Castro Diaz-Balart was born to Fidel Castro’s first wife, Mirta Diaz-Balart, a woman from Cuba’s aristocracy who Fidel married in his youth before beginning the revolutionary struggle that later brought him and his brother Raul to power.

Because of his maternal lineage, Castro Diaz-Balart is cousin to Republican Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart, who represents Cuban exiles in Florida.

His father died in November 2016 at age 90.


Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter

There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email webteam@spokesman.com

You have been successfully subscribed!


Top stories in World

Saudi prosecutor seeks death penalty in Khashoggi killing

UPDATED: 10:19 a.m.

updated  Saudi Arabia’s top prosecutor said Thursday he’s seeking the death penalty for five suspects charged with ordering and carrying out the killing of dissident Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi at the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul.