What are you …
1. Working on: Starting to think about writing a short story about Maverick Brevard, a character from “George & Lizzie,” who’d be in his late 40s in 2017. I’m thinking about what his life has been like since we last saw him at age 18 when he was the starting wide receiver on his high school football team.
2. Reading: Mainly a lot of nonfiction, including Mark Mazower’s “What You Did Not Tell: A Russian Past and the Journey Home” and other books about 20th century European history. I also want to reread Thucydides’s “The History of the Peloponnesian War.”
3. Watching: “The Good Place” (I love Kristen Bell and Ted Danson, and the writing is very clever); basketball (I’m a big fan of the Golden State Warriors)
4. Listening to: Music by Jason Isbell, Girlyman, Judy Collins; podcasts: Backlisted (highly recommended!); Around the NFL; The Woj Pod
5. Following: (On social media) Backlisted; Elizabeth McCracken; Laura Lippmann; Robert McFarlane; The Millions
6. Planning: Nine days of walking in the Cotswolds this summer
7. Inspired by: My husband, Joe. He’s the calmest, most rational, kindest and funniest person I know. We’ve been married for 51 1/2 years.
8. Imagining: What our country would be like if Hillary Clinton had won the presidency
9. Challenged by: Not becoming even more depressed than I already am by the news
10. Adding to my bucket list: Visiting Crete and Mycenae.