Arrow-right Camera
News >  World

3 Russian journalists killed in Central African Republic

BANGUI, Central African Republic – Three Russian journalists were killed in an ambush outside the town of Sibut in Central African Republic, officials in both countries said Tuesday.

The three Russians left the town Monday night around 7 p.m. and were attacked between two villages about 14 miles away, according to Marcelin Yoyo, a Sibut deputy official.

“Security forces in charge told them not to go because it was already dark,” Yoyo said. “They were kidnapped by about 10 men, all turbaned and speaking only Arabic.”

Yoyo said the journalists were slain on the spot, while their driver fled and informed authorities Tuesday morning.

Vladimir Monteiro, a spokesman for the United Nations mission in Central African Republic, said the victims’ bodies were recovered and taken to a mission hospital in Sibut. He didn’t disclose their nationalities or identities.

The Russian Foreign Ministry identified the slain journalists as Kirill Radchenko, Alexander Rastorguyev and Orkhan Dzhemal. The ministry expressed condolences to the families of the dead and said it was working on getting their bodies to Russia.

The ministry said in a statement that the Russian Embassy in the Central African Republic had not been informed the journalists were in the country.

The three had been working on a film in a partnership with an investigative media outlet run by exiled Russian tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky. Russian media reported they were reporting on a private Russian security company operating in Central African Republic.

A spokesman for Central African Republic’s government, Ange Maxime Kazagui, said the ministries for communication and for public security and defense had not issued accreditation to a delegation of Russian journalists.

Central African Republic has launched an investigation into the attack, he said.


Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter

There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email webteam@spokesman.com

You have been successfully subscribed!


Top stories in World

Argentina minister says country without means to rescue sub

UPDATED: 7:02 p.m.

Hours after announcing the discovery of an Argentine submarine lost deep in the Atlantic a year ago with 44 crew members aboard, the government said Saturday that it is unable to recover the vessel, drawing anger from missing sailors’ relatives who demanded that it be raised.