Arrow-right Camera
A&E >  Pop culture

Pauley Perrette claims she endured ‘multiple physical attacks’ on ‘NCIS’

Pauley Perrette attends “An Evening with Women” held at the Hollywood Palladium on Saturday, May 21, 2016, in Los Angeles. (Richard Shotwell / Invision)
Pauley Perrette attends “An Evening with Women” held at the Hollywood Palladium on Saturday, May 21, 2016, in Los Angeles. (Richard Shotwell / Invision)

Pauley Perrette, who recently left CBS’ long-running drama “NCIS” after 15 seasons, is saying she bailed on the show because of “multiple physical assaults” that made it unsafe for her to hang around.

“I refused to go low, that’s why I’ve never told publicly what happened,” the actress said over the weekend on Twitter. “But there are tabloid articles out there that are telling total lies about me.”

Perrette, whose lab-geek character Abby Sciuto had a strong cult fan following, said a “very rich, very powerful publicity ‘machine’” is fueling false tabloid stories about her — stories that fans shouldn’t believe.

The “all sorts of false stories” allegation was also made in October, when Perrette announced on Twitter that she was leaving “NCIS.” At the time, she said it was a decision made “last year.”

The final episode with the Sciuto character ran May 8.

Perrette said she is trying to do the right thing, but added that maybe that wasn’t the right choice.

“I’ve been supporting (anti-)bullying programs forever. But now I KNOW because it was ME!,” she tweeted Sunday. “If it’s school or work, that you’re required to go to? It’s horrifying. I left. Multiple Physical Assaults. I REALLY get it now. Stay safe. Nothing is worth your safety. Tell someone.”

Perrette didn’t clarify whether the alleged assaults happened on set or were otherwise linked to the show, but did say she was trying to “protect my crew, jobs and so many people.”

Mark Harmon and David McCallum are the only original members of the “NCIS” ensemble who remain on the show.