The Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to several calls involving pedestrians struck by vehicles, cooking fires and a report of a barbecue operated indoors.
On Oct. 25, firefighters responded to a report of a 66-year-old man riding a bicycle, who was struck by a vehicle about 4:50 p.m. on the 15500 block of East Sprague Avenue.
The man, who wasn’t wearing a helmet, was traveling across Sprague Avenue when he was struck by the vehicle. Crews pulled the man, who was conscious, from underneath the car. He was transported to the hospital in stable condition.
A vehicle struck a pedestrian on Oct. 30 around 9:40 p.m on the 2200 block of North Argonne Road. A 41-year-old female was hit by the vehicle, which was slowly turning right out of a parking lot. The woman sustained a knee injury, but refused transport to the hospital.
Other calls Oct. 22 to Nov. 4
Oct. 22: Crews responded to a cooking fire around 5 p.m. on the 23100 block of East Mission Avenue. Firefighters found light smoke and a smoldering pot in an apartment and turned off the stove. The residents had evacuated from the building. Crews helped ventilate smoke out of the apartment.
Oct. 25: Crews responded to a gas leak around 6:50 a.m. on the 2600 block of North Woodruff Road. When they arrived on the scene, employees were evacuating the facility, which included a large marijuana operation. A forklift boom hit an overhead natural gas heater, causing a leak. Avista Utilities was called to the scene.
Oct. 29: Crews responded to a report of heavy smoke from a vacant building about 1:30 a.m. on the 12200 block of East First Avenue. When crews arrived on the scene, they were able to gain access to the unoccupied building and extinguish the fire. An extension cord, which was extended from a neighboring building to the unoccupied building, shorted out and caught papers and a stairway on fire.
Nov. 2: Crews responded to a “hazardous condition” call about 9 a.m. on the 5100 block of North McDonald Road. When they arrived at the residence, they found a barbecue that was in use, along with a shotgun and a recliner in a bedroom. Firefighters removed the gun from the residence. A man, who previously was trespassed from the residence, was found in the home. Crews turned over the incident to law enforcement and moved the barbecue outside of the home.
Nov. 4: Firefighters responded to an outside garbage fire about 9:30 a.m. on the 7200 block of East Sprague Avenue. When crews arrived on the scene, they found a homeless encampment and a small, smoldering warming fire. They extinguished the fire.
By the numbers: The Spokane Valley Fire Department from Oct. 22 to Nov. 4 responded to 644 calls, including 24 fires, 38 alarm system responses, 522 emergency medical service calls, two extrications, seven hazardous material responses, 43 motor vehicle accidents and eight service calls.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.