Latest from The Spokesman-Review
So, it turns out Spokane doesn't really get to host the U.S. figure skating championships every other year.
But coverage of the recently completed U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose suggests that expecting consistently big crowds and huge TV numbers for this annual event might be a thing of the past.
Except, I suppose, if it is held in Spokane shortly before a Winter Olympics.
Nicole Deitrick, 14, practices at Eagles Ice Arena on Nov. 8. She has qualified for the junior nationals in the intermediate division.
Nicole Deitrick, 14, and Kayleigh Elliott, 11, circled the ice, landing jumps and executing dizzying spins with ease. For spectators it was a brilliant figure skating performance. For the girls it was just another day of practice at Eagles Ice-A-Rena.
The two local figure skaters recently qualified for the U.S. Junior National Figure Skating Championships in Lansing, Mich., Dec. 10-14. Both are part of the Lilac City Figure Skating Club. Cindy Hval, SR Full Story.
Do you enjoy watching figure skating?
You know, not having a big deal figure skating competition here seemingly every year.
Canadian skater Meagan Duhamel hits Eric Radford with her elbow as they perform their pair's short program at the ISU Figure skating World championships in Moscow, Russia, Wednesday. You write the cutline. (AP Photo/Dmitry Lovetsky)
- 1. Eric soooo regrets answering that fatal question (asked just moments ago): “Does this suit make my butt look fat” — JeanieSpokane.
- 2. (tie) Sportscaster: “… Duhamel hits the Eject Button and, Wow!, look at her fly!” — Kevin Taylor, and: Duhamel was later named ‘hockey mom of the year’ for Canada — Brent Andrews.
- 3. Eric who used to be 5‘10” is now 5‘7” and looking for a new skating partner — CoeurGenX.
- HM: Herb
Lynn Kriengkrairut, top, and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, bottom, fall as they perform during the free dance program in the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday. You write the cutline. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)
- 1. Upon sneezing, Logan tried to console her by saying Gesundheit, but it came out Kriengkrairut instead, and threw them both off — JeanieS.
- 2. Two members of the Tea Party demonstrate what Obamacare does to the country during an interperative figure skating routine over the weekend. Presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann said, “I am not sure where that girl is from or what country she was born in, but here in America, we don't need the government to make us fall on our butts” — Joker.
- 3. An innocent game of Twister goes tragically wrong — Gary D. Rhodes.\
- HM: Cindy, Cabbage, & Eddie