Stories tagged: fires
Thu., Dec. 23, 2010, midnight
House fire victims died from smoke
Two women who died in a fire Sunday morning have been identified by the Spokane County medical examiner. Jill D. Burdett, 56, and UnaBelle Turner, 91, were unable to escape …
Thu., Dec. 23, 2010, midnight
Body found after downtown apartment fire
Cold, wet and hungry, Eileen Epps stood in the snow Wednesday night wondering where she would have dinner. She had planned on making a trip to the grocery store; instead …
Wed., Dec. 22, 2010, 7:24 p.m.
Fire crews discover body at apartment fire
Spokane Fire Department personnel are on the scene of a multi-alarm fire at the Sherwood Apartments at 123 N. Bernard St. The building also houses the Suki Yaki Inn.
Mon., Dec. 20, 2010, 2:18 p.m.
One of three Spokane fire victims identified
A cooking fire in a Spokane motor home led to the death of a 64-year-old man on Saturday night, Fire Chief Bobby Williams reported on Monday.
Wed., Dec. 15, 2010, midnight
Crew finds work waiting at fire station
Spokane Valley fire crews didn’t have far to go to put out a fire just after 11 p.m. Monday. It was in their own kitchen. Crew members from Station 6 …
Mon., Nov. 8, 2010, 3:28 p.m.
Officials: Hot ashes likely sparked Valley house fire
Wood stove ashes left next to a wood pile apparently triggered a fire that damaged a home in Spokane Valley today.
Tue., Oct. 19, 2010, 5:55 p.m.
Men accused of helping murder suspect burn home
Two men are accused of helping a Spokane felon burn the home of a man he murdered, the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office announced today.
Thu., Oct. 14, 2010, 3:41 p.m.
Suspect: Sex abuse claim triggered slaying
A suspect in the murder of a Spokane man told investigators he beat and strangled the victim with an electrical cord after the man began talking about molesting a relative …
Wed., Oct. 13, 2010, 4:22 p.m.
Man arrested for murder in Hangman Valley fire
A 27-year-old man has been arrested on murder and arson charges related to a suspicious fire on Tuesday.
Fri., Sept. 24, 2010, midnight
21-year-old arrested after arson at Kellogg newspaper
A 21-year-old man arrested for arson at the badly gutted office of the Shoshone News-Press in Kellogg apparently “was just mad at the town,” Kellogg’s fire chief said Thursday. The …
Sun., Sept. 12, 2010, midnight
Overheated pit routs customers at Longhorn
The pit at Spokane Valley’s popular Longhorn Barbecue overheated and filled the restaurant with smoke during Saturday night’s dinnertime rush. More than 100 customers had to evacuate as firefighters sprayed …
Sun., Sept. 12, 2010, midnight
Widely used fire retardant gets federal scrutiny
BOULDER, Colo. – Lost in the images of aircraft dropping giant red plumes of retardant on a Colorado wildfire last week is the fact that the practice may not be …
Thu., Sept. 2, 2010, midnight
Investigators suspect wiring in restaurant blaze
Tung Loon Garden at 3627 N. Division St. was festooned with red neon – so much that the sky above it would glow a warm red on cold, foggy nights. …
Wed., Sept. 1, 2010, 11:22 a.m.
Tung Loon fire on Division may be electrical
A Spokane fire investigator this morning said he is looking at the likelihood that a Tuesday night fire at Tung Loon restaurant on North Division was caused by an electrical …
Sun., Aug. 29, 2010, midnight
Fire crews get weather’s help in Idaho
BOISE – Fire crews on Saturday gained the upper hand on some fires thanks to cooler weather in Idaho. Most of the fires were touched off by lightning strikes. The …
Fri., Aug. 27, 2010, midnight
Fires blaze across Inland Northwest
Bone-dry conditions throughout the Inland Northwest, combined with “erratic, gusty winds,” fueled fires across the region Thursday, charring thousands of acres and destroying at least two homes. By 9:30 p.m., …
Mon., Aug. 23, 2010, 6:28 a.m.
Overnight house fire likely arson, investigators say
Spokane Fire investigators are saying a house fire at Pacific and Helena just east of downtown is likely an arson. The fire broke out Sunday night just before midnight.
Sun., Aug. 22, 2010, midnight
Fire closes stretch of Highway 21
The Idaho Department of Transportation closed an 11-mile section of state Highway 21 in central Idaho due to a wildfire near the road in the Salmon-Challis National Forest on Saturday.
Tue., Aug. 17, 2010, 1:34 p.m.
Historic Forest Service building burns
One of 12 buildings at the Steliko Work Station, established in 1908 up the Entiat River north of Wenatchee, was consumed by fire Monday.
Sun., Aug. 15, 2010, midnight
Abandoned home catches fire again
An abandoned home at 2217 E. Sprague Ave. caught fire Saturday for the second time this year.
Tue., Aug. 10, 2010, 12:56 p.m.
Woman dies in motel fire on East Sprague
A woman was found dead in a smoke-filled motel room on East Sprague Avenue in Spokane this morning.
Mon., Aug. 9, 2010, 1 p.m.
House fires reported in Spokane
A fire has been reported at a home on the west side of Spokane’s South Hill.
Mon., Aug. 2, 2010, 1:14 p.m.
Lightning-sparked fires in WA prompt smoke warning
Even as many wildfires seemed to be winding down, the Washington Department of Ecology warned Monday that smoke from blazes in the north-central part of the state was spreading throughout …
Thu., July 29, 2010, 6:42 a.m.
Firefighters: Brush fire easily could have threatened homes
Firefighters said homes could have been threatened Wednesday afternoon if they hadn’t moved quickly to douse a small brush fire in the Indian Trail area.
Wed., July 21, 2010, 4:21 p.m.
Man found dead in burning apartment identified
A 69-year-old man died in a fire inside his Spokane Valley apartment early today.
Thu., July 15, 2010, 2:18 p.m.
Cities, county restrict outdoor burning
Burning restrictions have been ordered in the cities of Spokane, Spokane Valley, Liberty Lake, Millwood and in unincorporated areas of Spokane County with the arrival of the region’s dry season.
Sun., Feb. 7, 2010, midnight
Building a fire in wet conditions
Ten sure-fire steps to building a fire in conditions that many would consider hopeless.
Wed., Dec. 16, 2009, 11:37 a.m.
Fire cancels classes at Glover Middle School
An electrical fire at Glover Middle School today cancelled classes and forced students to evacuate.
Wed., Dec. 9, 2009, midnight
Stubborn cold hangs on
Arctic cold that refuses to go away apparently was a factor in a string of fires in the past few days in the Spokane region, officials said Tuesday. As the …
Tue., Dec. 8, 2009, 9:57 a.m.
Crews battle fires in north Spokane County
Firefighters from Spokane County Fire Protection District No. 4 have been battling flames and cold in a series of blazes across the northern portion of the county since Monday night.