Everything tagged

Latest from The Spokesman-Review

Ill-pointed firework leads to house fire

In case you missed this chart and this post, fireworks are banned in much of the Inland Northwest.

Some people shooting them off in the park at Broadway Avenue and Chestnut Street apparently didn't get the memo.

The suspects shot an ill-pointed Roman candle from the park to a house across the street, said Lisa Jones, the city's fire marshal. The firework hit a bush in the front yard, which was engulfed in flames. By the time firefighters arrived, the flames had spread to the front porch and into the house.

Early morning fire injures two

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation and minor injuries around 1:30 a.m. today after a fire was reported at 4908 E. First in Spokane Valley. Firefighters found "flames coming out of every door and window" when they arrived, according to a Spokane Valley Fire Department press release. A neighbor spotted the flames and called 911. Click here for more details. Photo courtesy the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

A firefighter balancing act

I was cleaning out my email today and found this photo sent to me on Monday. I was struck by how precariously the top firefighter is balanced as he cuts a hole in the roof of a home in the 21000 block of East Wellesley. It's a little hard to see in this small size, but his right foot is supported by the head of an axe driven into the roof. His left foot is on the metal ladder and a fellow firefighter is helping support him. (Click on the photo to see a larger version.)

The four people in the home got out without injury. The fire caused about $50,000 in damage, largely because the firefighters were forced to cut into the roof. The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical malfunction. Photo courtesy the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

PM: Fire Destroys Rathdrum Home

Northern Lakes Fire District fireman Erin Sorenson fights to extinguish flames and to protect outbuildings this afternoon after being called at about 12:35 to a fully engulfed house fire at 3427 Scarcello Road/Rathdrum. According to a fire district news release, firefighters found the house fully involved with the homeowner outside the home with no other occupants.  The adult male homeowner was later transported to Kootenai Health. No more information on his condition is available. Story here. (Northern Lakes photo)

Update on house fire, wrong way driver

The fire reported early Monday morning at 619 N. Vista was in a vacant home that had been empty for several months, according to a press release from Spokane Valley Fire Department Capt. Pat Schaffer. When firefigthers arrived the fire had spread from the house to several nearby trees. Damage to the home is estimated at $100,000 and the cause is still under investigation.

Schaffer reports that the fire department did have several problems responding to the fire. The house is about 200 feet from the road and isn't visible from the street, he said. The driveway to the home also was not marked. The department urges everyone to make sure their address is clearly visible.

Reporter Meghann Cuniff has an interesting update on the wrong-way driver who caused a head on collision on I-90 near Liberty Lake in the early morning hours on Sunday. The three people in the car he hit were injured. The driver appeared to be drunk and was arrested by the Washington State Patrol for vehicular assault. Click here for more details.

Victim in fatal fire knew tragedy well

A woman and her dogs died in a fire that ripped through her northeast Spokane home Friday. 

Inez L. Williams, 67, was described by friends and family as an animal lover who had lived at 4128 E. Princeton Ave. for decades.

Fire officials are investigating how the fire at the double-wide trailer began, but the woman’s niece, Kim Staggs, said her aunt had large oxygen tanks in the home and often smoked in bed.

Read the rest of my story here. Williams’ son, Terry Allen Palm, and his girlfriend, Angela Walsh went missing in 2002 in a case that remains unsolved. Read more here.

(Williams is pictured in 2008 with a photo of Palm.)

House fire in Liberty Lake

Spokane Valley Fire Department crews responded to a house fire yesterday afternoon in Liberty Lake. The fire in the 1200 block of South Liberty Drive was reported at 4:34 p.m. It appears the fire started in the engine compartment of a car parked in front of the garage, according to a press release from assistant fire marshal Bill Clifford. The fire spread to surrounding bushes and trees before being noticed by a neighbor, who also knocked on the front door to alert the family inside the home. One adult and two small children were able to escape unharmed. Photo courtesy the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

“Raging” house fire

Get Adobe Flash player

Spokane Valley Fire Department assistant fire marshal Bill Clifford describes yesterday's house fire at Welleley and Moore as "raging." When firefighters arrived there were smoke and flames coming out the front door, the living room window and the back of the house. The sounds of the crackling flames alerted one of the occupants, who also got his brother and newphew out of the burning home, Clifford said. The only smoke detector in the home was on the lower level and the fire started on the main floor. The two adults suffered from smoke inhalation and received minor burns.

The cause of the fire hasn't yet been determined. Damage to the house is estimated to be at least $200,000. The photos above are courtesy of the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

Another house fire

Spokane Valley Fire Department crews are responding to the second reported house fire of the day, this one in the 7000 block of East Second. The first crews on the scene reported finding a house full of smoke. The neighbors who called in the fire told dispatchers they didn't think anyone was home.

Breaking news: house fire burning

Sanner traffic 12:20 p.m. There’s been some chatter about an apartment building manager calling 911 to report finding a body in a unit at 2415 N. Cherry.

Also, firefighters are responding to a house fire on Harvard Road across from the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. First units on scene are reporting fire in the attic and the need for traffic control on Harvard Road. It might be best to avoid that area for a while.

Early Morning House Fire in Post Falls

POST FALLS— Kootenai County Firefighters are on the scene of an early morning house fire. The fire is now out, but firefighters are still dealing with hot spots. It started just before 5:30 Monday morning on the 200 block of west 13th Avenue in Post Falls. More here.