Stories tagged: house fires
SUNDAY, NOV. 10, 2013
North Spokane house fire displaces woman, five kids
Spokane firefighters responded to a house fire on Bridgeport Avenue and Market Street on Saturday that displaced a woman and five children. At 9:55 a.m., firefighters responded to a call …
THURSDAY, SEPT. 12, 2013
Fire victims’ donation jar at Jaazz Salon stolen
It isn’t the amount of money thieves stole from the Jaazz salon counter that has owner Mark Brado mad: It’s the principle. Jaazz, on the corner of Riverside Avenue and …
THURSDAY, AUG. 22, 2013
No guarantee of fire response in no man’s land
Homeowners on North Wilderness Lane recently had a bit of good luck among a lot of bad – firefighters from three neighboring districts showed up to fight the fire at …
THURSDAY, MAY 9, 2013
Flames engulf home, displacing residents
A fire destroyed a century-old home Wednesday afternoon, and three Spokane firefighters suffered heat exhaustion from fighting the blaze. The sound of crackling alarmed resident Nick Peraud as he relaxed …
SUNDAY, MAY 5, 2013
Blaze damages South Hill house
Flames blazed through the roof of a South Hill home Saturday afternoon, sending thick smoke through the Cliff-Cannon neighborhood. Firefighters responded around 2:45 p.m. as the fire burned through the …
SUNDAY, APRIL 14, 2013
Electrical short causes fire, kills 5
BOISE – An extension cord hooked to an electric grill on a porch shorted out and started a house fire that killed five people Saturday morning, a North Idaho fire …
MONDAY, FEB. 18, 2013
North Side house fire quickly doused
Spokane firefighters Sunday afternoon had no trouble handling a house fire at 1712 E. Sharp Ave. Fire crews found smoke coming from an attic fire at the house in north …
THURSDAY, NOV. 22, 2012
House fire danger rises with season
Deep-frying a turkey may be one way to impress the taste buds of holiday guests, but Spokane fire officials warn the method poses a danger. Thanksgiving “marks the day in …
MONDAY, OCT. 8, 2012
Blast heard before fire destroys home
Fire destroyed a home in the 15900 block of East Wellesley Avenue on Sunday night; it’s the second time in a year there has been a blaze at the home. …
THURSDAY, JUNE 14, 2012
Couple lose home in north Spokane fire
Two north Spokane residents lost their home to a fire late Wednesday. Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said crews were called to 1523 W. Knox Ave. about 8:50 p.m. The …
MONDAY, APRIL 2, 2012
17th Avenue home badly damaged in fire
A South Hill residence was significantly damaged by fire Sunday morning. Occupants of the home at 3111 E. 17th Ave. reported the fire at about 10:30 a.m. and evacuated before …
SUNDAY, JAN. 15, 2012
Spokane Valley firefighters work overnight car, house blazes
Spokane Valley firefighters had a busy Saturday morning. They first responded to a suspicious car fire at the Roost Apartments, 8910 E. Broadway Ave., which was reported at 3:41 a.m., …
SUNDAY, JAN. 1, 2012, 3:22 P.M.
Young girl burned in Spokane house fire
A 3-year-old girl was burned in a fire at her northeast Spokane home this morning. The girl is being treated for “extensive” second- and third-degree burns, according to the Spokane …
THURSDAY, DEC. 15, 2011
Rathdrum man loses home in fire
A Rathdrum man lost his home after it was engulfed in flames in a two-alarm fire Wednesday afternoon. The homeowner was transported to Kootenai Health with unknown injuries after the …
THURSDAY, DEC. 8, 2011
Frigid air brings home fire risks
With dipping temperatures come heating season, and with that comes residential fire season. According to the United States Fire Administration, cooking is the leading cause of winter residential building fires, …
MONDAY, NOV. 21, 2011
Neighbors rescue fire victims
Jeff Bickell won’t soon forget Sunday morning. That’s when he ran down his North Side street to see his neighbor leaning out of a second-story window, gasping for air, her …
THURSDAY, JAN. 20, 2011
Disabled man uses Facebook to summon help during fire
Smoke from a flaming toaster filled his living room quickly, but Robert “Bob” Chambers couldn’t call for help. Muscular dystrophy limits his movement, and the 51-year-old Spokane man’s phone was …
FRIDAY, DEC. 24, 2010
Male fire victim identified
Officials have identified the man who died in the downtown apartment fire where firefighters had to evacuate several residents Wednesday night. Louis J. Schopp, 59, died from smoke inhalation, according …
THURSDAY, DEC. 23, 2010, 6:50 P.M.
Officials identify fourth fire victim this week
Officials have identified the man who died at the downtown apartment fire where firefighters had to evacuate several residents Wednesday night.
THURSDAY, DEC. 23, 2010
Body found after downtown apartment fire
Cold, wet and hungry, Eileen Epps stood in the snow Wednesday night wondering where she would have dinner. She had planned on making a trip to the grocery store; instead …
WEDNESDAY, DEC. 22, 2010, 7:24 P.M.
Fire crews discover body at apartment fire
Spokane Fire Department personnel are on the scene of a multi-alarm fire at the Sherwood Apartments at 123 N. Bernard St. The building also houses the Suki Yaki Inn.
MONDAY, DEC. 20, 2010, 2:18 P.M.
One of three Spokane fire victims identified
A cooking fire in a Spokane motor home led to the death of a 64-year-old man on Saturday night, Fire Chief Bobby Williams reported on Monday.
MONDAY, AUG. 9, 2010, 1 P.M.
House fires reported in Spokane
A fire has been reported at a home on the west side of Spokane’s South Hill.
MONDAY, AUG. 9, 2010
No one injured in pair of house fires
Spokane firefighters rescued a woman and her pet early Sunday from a fire that broke out at a home in Hillyard, and a fire later Sunday in the West Central …
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 14, 2010
Arson fire burns pair of homes in Spokane
Two house fires late Sunday were intentionally set, Spokane fire officials announced Monday.
TUESDAY, DEC. 8, 2009, 9:57 A.M.
Crews battle fires in north Spokane County
Firefighters from Spokane County Fire Protection District No. 4 have been battling flames and cold in a series of blazes across the northern portion of the county since Monday night.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 28, 2009, 8:38 P.M.
Man saves Spokane Valley family from house fire
A man on his way to work this morning alerted a family to a house fire that could have killed them, according to the Spokane Valley Fire Department.
THURSDAY, AUG. 13, 2009, 9:50 A.M.
Three killed in Grant County house fire
An overnight house fire in Mattawa, Wash., has killed a woman and two children. The fire, which occurred late Wednesday in the 200 block of East Fourth Street, is being …
THURSDAY, JULY 9, 2009, 8:12 A.M.
Woman in house fire: ‘I was just burning’
Four days after she was badly burned in a massive house fire, a Spokane woman is talking about her terrifying ordeal.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29, 2009
House damaged, two pets die in fire
A Spokane family was left homeless and the family’s pets dead Tuesday in a blaze that destroyed a northeast Spokane home. Spokane police officers were the first to arrive at …