Latest from The Spokesman-Review
Seems weird to write that Robert Sacre is an ex-Zag. Technically, he is a former Zag but the reality is he stays in touch with his ex-GU teammates and coaches, like a number of ex-Zags playing professionally.
When Gonzaga was in the LA area last week, Sacre caught up with the team at a practice and then watched the Zags-Waves game in Malibu. He lives fairly close to the hotel where the Bulldogs stay near Santa Monica.
“It was good to see Big Rob again,” junior forward Sam Dower said. “We miss him around here.”
Sacre is working his tail off to make his mark with the Lakers. Due to recent injuries to Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard (and now Jordan Hill is out for the season), Sacre moved into the starting lineup.
I caught up with Sacre last week between the Philly and Clippers games and filed a feature story that ran in Sunday's S-R. More here.
Gonzaga's Robert Sacre, right, mugs with former NBA player Reggie Miller courtside after basketball practice in Pittsburgh today. Gonzaga plays against West Virginia an East Regional NCAA tournament second-round college basketball game on Thursday. Cosmo mag has ranked Sacre fourth sexiest in his NCAA tournament bracket. Story here. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)
- Idaho trio back together at Southern Miss/Jim Meehan, SR
- 65YO man beaten while trying to break up underage party/SR
- Idaho House passes felony animal torture bill/Betsy Russell, SR
- CityLink plans service reduction, other changes/Coeur d'Alene Press
- Bonner County seeks de-listing of woodland caribou/Keith Kinnaird, Bee
- 3 Kootenai County residents busted w/pot in Oregon/Meghann Cuniff, S&G
- Senate OKs licensing bills for massage therapists/Betsy Russell, Eye On Boise
- Coeur d'Alene artist Mueller to document 'Portrait of a Town'/Alecia Warren, CdA Press
- House Transportation kills Senate-OK'd GARVEE for bridges/Betsy Russell, Eye On Boise
Gonzaga’s entire roster made sure Robert Sacre and Marquise Carter enjoyed their Senior Night. Carter had 13 points and five assists and Sacre chipped in five points and six rebounds as the Bulldogs routed Longwood 92-60 in front of an appreciative audience of 6,000 in the regular-season finale Monday at the McCarthey Athletic Center. Freshmen Gary Bell Jr. (20 points), Kevin Pangos (12 points) and Ryan Spangler (12 points, 10 rebounds) helped the Bulldogs (24-5) build leads as large as 35 points against the visiting Lancers, a Division I independent from Farmville, Va./Jim Meehan, SR. More here. (Colin Mulvany SR photo of Marquise Carter, left, and Robert Sacre)
Question: What will be the legacy of Robert Sacre and Marquise Carter among the Zag greats?
Saint Mary's Mickey McConnell hits the winning shot over Robert Sacre to beat Gonzaga 73-71 in Spokane. Saint Mary's improves to 6-0 in West Coast Conference play, while Gonzaga drops to 3-3. (SR photo: Dan Pelle)