Latest from The Spokesman-Review
No poison was detected in meat found in a Spokane woman’s yard in the 900 block of East 36th Ave. on Monday, the Spokane Regional Animal Protection Service announced today.
But strychnine, most likely from a gopher control pesticide, was found in meatballs picked up last week in the 3300 block of East 55th Avenue and near Regal Street and the Palouse Highway.
The gopher bait was mixed with the meat, then cooked, likely producing the green dye substance that colored the meat. Use of the pesticide is restricted in Washington, but licensed dealers can sell to people who have a license to buy it.
“There are many ways an individual could have obtained this product, either legally or illegally,” said Nicole Montano, lead animal protection officer for SCRAPS.
A dog died Friday after eating a poisoned meatball found near Regal and the Palouse Highway. Two other dogs died in the 3300 block of East 55th, and officials found tainted meatballs down the street from their home.
Dog owners are urged to inspect their yards and keep their pets indoors, and the Humane Society of the United States is offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information that leads to an arrest.
Anyone with information is urged to call the SCRAPS emergency number, (509) 477-2533.
Washington State University veterinarians say a meatball found on a Spokane woman’s property contained strychnine - the same poison thought to have killed dogs in North Idaho last spring.
The Spokane woman’s dog died near Regal Street and the Palouse Highway last week after eating another meatball.
Two other dogs, Snoopy and Abby (pictured above, left and right), have died after eating similar meatballs found in the Moran Prairie neighborhood on Spokane’s South Hill.
One attack took place in the 3300 block of East 55th Avenue, killing two dogs owned by 21-year-old David Cheney and his family.
Then on Monday, a homeowner near 36th Avenue and Grand Boulevard found a suspicious meatball similar to those found Friday.
Test results for the additional meatballs are expected today or Thursday, said Nancy Hill, director of the Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service.
Meanwhile, dog owners are urged to inspect their yards and keep their pets indoors, and the Humane Society of the United States is offering a $2,500 reward to catch the person responsible for poisoning dogs in Spokane.
Similar poisonings reported in North Idaho last March was never solved. Lisa Kauffman, Idaho state director for the Humane Society of the United States, said officials believe the incident may have stemmed from a family incident but were never able to prove it.