Tags


Everything tagged


Sort by:

Latest from The Spokesman-Review


  • Then and Now photos: Riverside Avenue

    Imagine a newcomer to Spokane stepping off a train in 1928 and turning west onto Riverside Avenue at Monroe Street and taking in the panoply of buildings that rival the …


  • Then and Now photos: Hillyard

    In 1892, James J. Hill, the architect and president of the Great Northern Railroad, arrived in Spokane. He told a newspaper reporter: “I am coming here to get your business …


  • Then and Now photos: Playfair track

    Ever since humans managed to shinny onto the back of a horse, riders have wanted to race. Endurance, flat-track, harness and steeplechase racing became popular in many different cultures around …


  • Then and Now photos: Otis Orchards

    Settlers William and Johanna Pringle homesteaded in eastern Spokane County in 1883, near a railroad stop called Otis. In 1903, Mark Mendenhall and Laughlin MacLean contracted to use a drainage …


  • Then and Now photos: The Rookery

    Francis Cook, publisher of the Tacoma Herald newspaper, was lured to Spokane in 1879 by the offer of free land from city father James N. Glover. He was offered the …


  • Then & Now: Service stations popular until 1970s

    There were cars before the advent of the gas station. Early fuel stops were general stores where a motorist could fill a gas can. The debut of Ford’s Model T …


  • Then and Now photos: Spokane Valley

    When white immigrants began settling permanently in the Spokane area in the 1870s, it was a particularly hardscrabble group who chose the rural Spokane Valley to eke out a meager …


  • Then and Now photos: A city is born

    Spokane’s story began on the corner of Howard Street and Spokane Falls Boulevard. Original settlers James Downing and Seth Scranton drove the first surveyor’s stake there in 1871. It was …


  • Then and Now photos: Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk

    Kelly Olynyk was described by this newspaper in 2009 as “a versatile Canadian capable of playing several positions.” It was but one line in a look ahead to the 2009-10 …


  • Then and Now photos: Drive-in departs, restaurant remains

    The invention of the automobile changed everyday life in small and large ways. Independent travel, instead of horses, buggies or trains, became the norm. Travelers needed gas, convenient food and …


  • Then and Now photos: Downtown still stacks up

    The twin stacks of the Central Steam Plant were completed in 1916 by the Merchants Central Heating Co. The 225-foot stacks used 333,340 bricks and extended above the elegant facility …


  • Then and Now: Operation Walkout

    In 1954, the nuclear bomb was on everyone’s mind. Would the Russians attack without warning? Spokane was chosen as the first city in the nation to attempt a complete evacuation …


  • Then and Now photos: The Mint bar

    During Spokane’s boom era of the 1880s through the early 20th century, downtown Spokane was packed with workers, mainly men, living in single-resident occupancy buildings, called SRO hotels, when not …


  • Then and Now photos: Hazelwood Farms

    Spokane’s Hazelwood Farms was a leading Northwest dairy business when its founders, David and George Brown and John L. Smith, decided to subdivide and sell off their land holdings on …


  • Then and Now photos: Sunset Highway

    In the 19th century, east-west travel across Washington was on unsurfaced, ungraded roads. Routes were mostly military wagon trails like the Mullan Road and the Naches Pass Road. But railroad …


  • Then and Now photos: The Pavilion

    Spokane’s Expo ’74 continues to recede in the rear-view mirror, but the silhouette of the former United States Pavilion reminds us of that glorious summer of exhibitions, concerts, rides, famous …


  • Then and Now photos: Coeur d’Alene waterfront

    The natives of the region, who called themselves the Schee-Chu-Umsh, lived and camped around Lake Coeur d’Alene for many generations before the first white men, likely French explorers or trappers, …


  • Then and Now photos: Post Street Bridge

    In 1880, a vote was held to decide the seat of newly created Spokane County. Cheney and Spokane Falls, both important railroad towns, wanted it. Spokane was declared the winner, …


  • Then and Now photos: Broadview Dairy

    Allen H. Flood, born in 1854 and the grandson of Revolutionary War soldiers, moved to Washington from Maine in 1889 for work. He drove oxen in lumber camps, laid out …


  • Then and Now photos: View from the Tower

    1926: Slow-moving electric streetcars, clattering Ford Model Ts and crowds of shoppers bundled against the cold. 2012: Quiet front-wheel-drive autos, hybrid diesel-electric transit buses and pedestrians intent on their cellphones …


  • Then and Now photos: Riverside Avenue

    The Robertson, Morgan and Bell buildings still stand on the 300 block of West Riverside Avenue. All date to Spokane’s boom era of the early 1900s. Glen Dow Academy of …


  • Then and Now photos: Murgittroyd’s

    Murgittroyd’s, at right in the top photo, was the prototype of the modern drugstore. According to “The Pioneer Drug Store” by David Bethman, William Hiram Murgittroyd was born in 1867 …

Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile