The sturdy brick buildings from the first half of the 20th century are reminders that Spokane has always been a regional business center, a place where ambitious business operators came to stake their claim and make a fortune or go bust. This is photographic look back at some of the buildings in downtown Spokane, how they looked then and how they look now.
There have been a handful of bridges that took Spokane residents across the Spokane River at Monroe St. The earliest were wooden, later steel and most have been cement structures. The early photo here shows a steel structure in 1909. The 2010 shows the familiar cement structure.
Peters and Sons Flowers and Gifts opened on the corner of Lincoln and Riverside in 1933. In 1946, they built the newer building that now stands there, pictured here in 1953. The corner store front is now a restaurant.
Here is a look at the busy Monroe/Riverside intersection from 1948. The corners are fronted by the Spokane Club and The Spokesman-Review tower. Where there were once a row of department stores, the large Foley federal building (1966) now sits.
The first photo is a look south on Howard St. in 1946. The photo was taken while the Eagles Lodge, at 174 S. Howard, was undergoing renovation. The project was formally protested by a letter from the nearby United Methodist Church because of the sale of alcohol that would take place there, just a few blocks away. The former Eagles Lodge is now the theater home of Interplayers.
The Legion Building at Washington and Riverside in downtown Spokane was home to the Spokane Club, the Chamber of Commerce, Metals Bank and other enterprises before it was purchased by the American Legion in 1946. It lost its mansard roof to fire in 1939, and fortunately the current owners have restored it to its former glory.