Arrow-right Camera

Then and Now

Central Valley High Football

Education in east Spokane County began in one- and two-room school houses dotted among the farms and settlements in the Spokane River valley, beginning in the 1880s. The many one-school districts slowly merged and organized into the West Valley, East Valley and Central Valley School Districts.


Image two
Image one
Slide
Image One Courtesy of Spokane Valley Heritage Museum Image Two Jesse Tinsley The Spokesman-Review

Education in east Spokane County began in one- and two-room school houses dotted among the farms and settlements in the Spokane River valley, beginning in the 1880s. The many one-school districts slowly merged and organized into the West Valley, East Valley and Central Valley School Districts.
1880s- Many small school districts organized in east Spokane County.
1912 - Vera High School was built at the corner of Sprague Ave. and Progress Rd. Thirty students attend in 1915.
1923 - Several small districts - Vera, Greenacres, Quinnamose, Liberty Lake, Saltese and Lone Fir - combine into Central Valley School District. A year earlier, several small schools combine into Otis Orchards School District, changing its name to East Valley School District in 1957.
1924 – West Valley High School opens at the corner of Trent and Argonne.
1927 - Appleway High School opens at the current site of Greenacres Middle School along Sprague Rd. near Flora Rd. The name was unpopular with students. The name “Central Valley” won a contest to find a new name, according to historian Florence Boutwell.
1929-1931 - Central Valley and West Valley High Schools build a rivalry for their annual Armistice Day game, with CV taking three out of four games in those years.
1941 – Lights are installed at Douglas Field at CVHS, the first field in the Spokane County lighted for night games.
1956 - A new Central Valley High School is built at Sullivan Rd. and E. 8th Ave.
1960 - Central Valley School District adds University High School. East Valley High School opens the same year.
1972 - While boys’ sports teams sparked rivalries and stoked school spirit, many girls’ sports were only intramural competition until the passage of Title IX, a federal law requiring gender equity in education and athletic opportunities.
1976 – Valley schools, along with Mead, join the new Greater Spokane League.


Recent in Then and Now