Then and Now

Crescent Store

The Crescent, Spokane’s homegrown department store, disappeared in 1988 when it was combined with the Frederick and Nelson brand, but it started off with a bang and is remembered fondly by older Spokanites. The store, originally called Spokane Dry Goods, was housed in the gently curving Crescent building located where the Spokesman-Review building now sits.


Image two
Image one
Slide
Image One Photo Archive The Spokesman-Review Image Two Jesse Tinsley The Spokesman-Review

The Crescent, Spokane’s homegrown department store, disappeared in 1988 when it was combined with the Frederick and Nelson brand, but it started off with a bang and is remembered fondly by older Spokanites. The store, originally called Spokane Dry Goods, was housed in the gently curving Crescent building located where the Spokesman-Review building now sits. It opened August 5, 1889, the day after the catastrophic downtown fire, which was stopped from advancing westward past Lincoln St., sparing the store. As the downtown’s only remaining dry goods store, the entire inventory was sold on opening day and owners Robert B. Paterson and James Comstock made their reputation by not price gouging during the post-fire sale. The Crescent moved from the curved building but kept the name. The first major expansion was the store on the 700-block of Riverside. The store sold automotive parts, clothing and farm tools, but became a true shopping landmark with the opening of their large building on Main Ave. in 1919. Running from Riverside doors to the Main entrance was the Arcade, a long gallery lined with tasteful window displays and individual shops opening off both sides. At its peak, the Crescent had 5.2 acres of floor space designed as a gathering place and elegant shopping experience. Customers dressed up to visit the café, see fashion shows or pick out wedding gifts. Parents brought children see the Christmas window displays. With expansions in 1949 and 1973, the Crescent eventually spanned the entire 700 block on Main. A store was added at Northtown Mall in 1959 and University City in 1969. The Crescent company sold to Chicago retail giant Marshall Fields in 1962. Marshall Fields was bought in 1982 by an even larger retail group that spun off The Crescent and the Frederick and Nelson stores in 1988. All the stores took the F&N name before the entire chain closed for good in 1992.


Recent in Then and Now



Close

Sections


Profile

Close

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801