This photo, dated circa 1901, was shot from the tower of the Spokane County Courthouse looking east. Prominent in the center middle distance is the peaked roof of the Galland-Burke Brewing Company on the southeast corner of Broadway and Lincoln.
Image OneNorthwest Room of the Spokane Public LibraryImage TwoJesse TinsleyThe Spokesman-Review
The elegant building with the five-story, peaked roof in the left-center of the top photo was a brewery built by the Galland brothers in 1891. Julius, Theodore, Samuel and Adolph Galland grew up in the Portland area and ran stores and businesses in Eastern Washington and Idaho before landing in Spokane. In the booming 1890s, they founded Northwest Loan and Trust Company. A year after arriving, they opened the Galland-Burke Brewing Company, supplying drink to the millworkers and construction crews that were rebuilding Spokane after the cataclysmic 1889 fire. The family also owned breweries in Portland and Wallace, Idaho. Led by elder brother Julius, the brothers survived the 1893 financial crisis, but the cutthroat competition with other brewhouses led them to sell their operation to Spokane Brewing in 1902. Prohibition, in 1920, mothballed all the grand brew houses until 1933. In later years, other beers, including Ranier, were produced in the building until it closed in 1963. The YWCA acquired the property and built a structure of precast concrete, which now sits empty. In 1912, Spokane historian Nelson Wayne Durham wrote that Julius, born in 1860, was “a businessman of progressive spirit and unfaltering determination who accomplishes everything that he undertakes and steadily works his way upward to success.”