Rev. Thomas G. Watson, a Presbyterian missionary from Waukesha, Wisconsin, stepped off a train in Spokane Falls in 1883 to start a new church. Spokane was the dusty frontier town of 1500 souls. After a few years meeting in various downtown buildings, a new First Presbyterian Church was dedicated in December 1886 at the corner of Riverside Ave. and Monroe St. The cost: $3200. But there was a real estate boom and the “cozy” church sold in1889 for $21,000 and the sky-scraping Review Tower was finished in 1891 to house the Review newspaper. A few years later, William Cowles, publisher of the Spokesman newspaper, bought the Review and the sky-scraping tower. The Presbyterian church quickly built a temporary hall at Second Ave. and Jefferson St. in 1890, then built the stately stone church at 4th and Cedar in 1910, where it still serves the congregation today.