The small town of Millwood, Washington started as Woodard Station, named for a station on the Coeur d’Alene Spokane Railroad, at the edge of Joseph and Seth Woodard’s land. The Woodards were settlers who had given the right-of-way for a new electric train around 1903. A new north-south road, now Argonne Rd., and a bridge over the river allowed people and agricultural goods to get to the train and into Spokane. The Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. of Appleton, Wisconsin built a mill by the river and began producing paper in 1911. Woodard Station exploded with the new industry, adding businesses and homes to serve and house the mill’s employees, and the name was changed to Millwood to honor both the mill and the Woodard family. The town of almost 2000 people, was the first to incorporate in the Spokane Valley area, which they did in 1928. This year, the Inland Empire Paper Company is celebrating 100 years of operation.