Then and Now

Old State Armory Building

The cavernous state armory building at 202 W. Second in downtown Spokane once provided the space for the Washington National Guard after it was completed in 1908.


Image two
Image one
Slide
Image One Photo Archive The Spokesman-Review Image Two Jesse Tinsley The Spokesman-Review

The cavernous state armory building at 202 W. Second in downtown Spokane once provided the space for the Washington National Guard after it was completed in 1908. Historian Carolyn Hage Nunemaker writes that it was also the venue for concerts, dances and sporting events before the Spokane Coliseum that was built in 1954. Spokane opera singer Patrice Munsel gave a concert, a benefit for the Red Cross, in 1943, just after she had signed a contract with the Metropolitan Opera Company. The building hasn’t been used as an armory since 1977.


Recent in Then and Now




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile