Spokane Valley Heritage Museum
The Opportunity Township hall, a Spanish colonial-style building at 12114 E. Sprague, turns 100 years old this year and its current occupant, the Spokane Valley Heritage Museum, will celebrate the centennial on Sept. 20 at 5 p.m. with a short program and the burial of a time capsule. Townships, a form of local government found across rural America, were common a century ago and the township of Opportunity, a name suggested by local resident Laura Kelsey, was formed in 1908 when the area was mostly farms and orchards. Three years later, the new hall, designed by architect C. Harvey Smith, was built along dirt track called Appleway, later Sprague Ave. Over the years it has served as offices, a meeting hall, library and a venue for social events. The legislature took away taxing authority of rural townships in 1969 and Spokane County voters dissolved local townships in 1974. The long-empty building went to the city of Spokane Valley incorporated, and it was later passed to the Spokane Valley Heritage Museum.