Kyra Devore, 8, left, anticipates a day of skiing in good snow conditions as she and her little sister Kenna, 8, center, head to the Silver Mountain gondola over the weekend with family and friends. The deep snow and cool weather could keep the ski season going a couple weeks past it's usual end here. Jesse Tinsley/The Spokesman-Review.
Breaking: Coby Karl, Boise State basketballer and son of Denver Nugget coach George Karl, undergoes thyroid cancer surgery here.
1. An 18-year-old Spokane man stands accused of killing a 45-year-old and dumping him in the Spokane River over an autographed Beatles poster here.
2. A Vietnam war-era deserter who was caught crossing into the United States and held for a week recently says he made a mistake when he went AWOL from the Marine Corps in 1968 and fled to Vancouver here.
3. The operators of Spokane-based diploma mills used an Arizona man to pay three top-ranking Liberian diplomats more than $43,000 in a series of cash bribes, according to court documents filed Monday here.
4. WSU AD Jim Sterk knew what he was doing sounded crazy when he approached Wisconsin basketball coaching legend Dick Bennett about taking over the Cougars flat-lining basketball program a few years ago, but it worked here.
5. With convicted South Hill Rapist Kevin Coe's scheduled Sept. 8 release date fast approaching, state prosecutors have begun contemplating whether to pursue a civil case that could keep the prisoner behind bars until his death here.
6. IMHO-NW: Bert Caldwell/Spokesman-Review (France's high price for job security), Idaho Statesman (Court ruling doesn't back public view), Missoulian (Bully for bully policy), Frank Mieli/Kalispell Daily Inter Lake (Good news, bad news), and Art Thiel/Seattle PI (Jojima has glove, bat, tongue).
Online Poll: By a plurality of 51% to 44%, 645 respondents to a Billings Gazette poll say U.S. troops should stay in Iraq until the job is done rather than bring them home now.
*Top UW doctor Richard Root killed by crocodile in Africa here.
*As they approach their first Sweet 16 appearance in five years, Gonzaga's defense is getting no respect here.
*Mississippi AG tells human-rights crowd about bringing justice to the murderers of three human-rights workers 41 years later here.
*Montana teens to face charges for lighting classmate on fire here.