Actually, in Idaho, closing primaries would benefit the Democrats immensely:
- 1. “Traditional” Democrats or “Reagan Democrats” of the Silver Valley variety, who call themselves Democrats because their father was an FDR man and the Republicans were anti union, but nevertheless are quite conservative and vote Republican in the general election will register as Democrats, bolstering their conservative/moderate wing;
- 2. Constitutionalists and Libertarians will be excluded, forcing them back into their own “third” parties, which will split the vote to the Dems' favor;
- 3. Republicans in one-party Democrat counties will be forced to register as Democrats to vote for local officials, halting the GOP's advances in said counties; and (the rest of Shoshone Conservative's comment in drop box below)
Question: Who would benefit most/least by closed primaries in Idaho?
- 4. Conservative and moderate Independents will be so disgusted with the hypocracy of the party trumpeting States Rights and judicial restraint asking a federal judge to re-write our election laws that there will be a political backlash; or, alternatively:
- 5. EVERYONE in some counties will just register Republican, turning the GOP into a meaningless catch-all, which would allow an organized opposition with a message to make serious inroads.