The battery exploded when the contacts touched the contacts on the battery. She said the explosion set a chair and curtains on fire.
Officials said the fire quickly spread throughout the apartment and into neighboring apartments. Fire crews evacuated all neighboring apartments.
Authorities said everyone living in the apartments got out safely except for a cat.
Fire crews said three of the five apartments suffered fire damage and one suffered smoke damage. KREM2
The Cda Press reports a cat perished in the blaze :-(