FISHING -- Idaho Fish and Game Department officials are taking public comments through July 8 on proposed changes to fishing rules.
All proposed rules are available on the Fish and Game website . Comments may be submitted at the links on the web page.
Highlights of Fish and Game’s recommendations include:
- Allowing filleting of hatchery salmon and steelhead harvested and recorded on a salmon or steelhead permit when certain conditions are met.
- Allowing use of a gaff hook while archery fishing for nongame fish.
- Modifying the definition of a “steelhead” in the Salmon, Snake and Clearwater River drainages.
- A new definition for when a fishing contest permit is needed.
- New definitions used in the 2011-2012 fishing rules booklet.
- Making it illegal to mark and release fish.
The Idaho Fish and Game Commission will act on these proposed rules at the July 28 meeting in Salmon. Adopted rules would not take effect until April 2012.